Re: Re[2]: [sig] Russian Boyar battle gear questions (long)

  • Lisa Kies
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 26 3:39 PM
      On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Renata Dobrowolska wrote:

      > > The question about the pick is a good one. Generally I would assume that
      > > the author was refering to a chekan, but then the description sounds more
      > > like a flail, kisten. I should re-read the source and then fix it.
      > > (Generally, a pick is a heavy, pointed tool for digging in dense, rocky
      > > soil. Also known as a pick-axe.)
      >
      > This seems very unclear.
      > PICK-AXE? I do not know reference for such a weapon. It is a
      > two-handed tool. You mean T-shaped pole weapon? In POlish it is called
      > 'nadyak' and was used when pole-axe became not fashionable in
      > XVIcentury in service of Polish infantry and then Polish cavalry used
      > nadyak until late XVIII century.

      A pick-axe is, indeed, a two-handed tool and therefore has only
      superficial similarities to the Russian weapon, chekan, than is sometimes
      translated into English as "pick". A chekan is a sort of light warhammer
      with a pointy end. I was explaining the mundane definition of "pick" for
      those of our readers who might not be as fluent in English. Actually, a
      chekan is more like an ice axe than a pick axe (neither of which is to be
      confused with an ice pick). *sigh*

      I don't know anything about Polish weaponry, much less late period Polish
      weaponry.

      I hope this helps.

      Sofya la Rus