Re[2]: [sig] thanks on fairy tale info & "screwup"

  • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 20, 2002
      Greetings!

      Well, I may be stomped, but there is not very much evidence that that clothing
      was imposible for period. It is typical "lack of evidence" not "evidence of
      lack". The thing is in some other problems.

      1. "Miriskusniks" (Bilibin, Vasnetsov, afair Roerikh) served the same role as
      Preraffaelites in Britain. I.e.: they formed their own myth of the Ancient
      Times of their country, using what they knew. And the thing is that right at
      that time (second half 19 century) Russia discovered the Northy as a reserve of
      the old culture, where they sang Bylinas of 14 century, wore clothing items
      based on medieval samples, etc. But - see #2

      2. Not that there was NOTHING period in the North. But there were lots of
      silver & gold traders who bought old gold/silver embroidered clothes in
      hundreds, burnt them and got their precious metal, stupid vandals. So somewhere
      in late 19 century they started consulting not the rich clothing of their
      foremothers but their memory. So the closer to 1900 the dress is made, the
      worse is the resemblance to original patterns of 14-15-16 centuries, that,
      frankly speaking, didn't change much in the course of years. 1900s hit the
      tradition much worse.

      3. One more pain in the - let your modesty choose the part of the body :-)
      As the Miriskusniks chose the most talked-of patterns, they omitted the humble
      fact that there was a certain border between sarafan-based and shirt and
      plakhta-based women's clothing, and it lies along the Belgorod-Kursk-Penza
      line, as I can rely on my memory (the book on Clothing of the Eastern Europe
      and the book on the Russian embroidery are at home while I hit the keys at
      work). So, Bilibin made a Lubok based on North Muscovite Rus, and Vasnetsov
      compiled simply anything. No use relying on them whilst your centre of
      attention lies further south.

      bye,
      Alex

      Mail.Ru - удобно, доступно, надежно!