Re: [sig] Re: slavic ancestral screw-up

  • Jenn Ridley
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 19, 2002
      On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 22:38:09 -0700 (PDT), Jeff Smith
      <janos@...> wrote:

      >--- jenni4500us <jridley@...> wrote:
      >"I don't think the LDS would have been allowed in"
      >
      >We weren't, and I hate to bust your bubble, but we
      >don't travel around the world doing that stuff.
      >People (LDS and anyone else) do the research and send
      >it in to us through family history centers, which are
      >all over the world now. You can stop by one and see
      >how the process works...they'll explain it to you in
      >detail if you ask.

      Oh, I know how it works. I was just saying that the chances of any
      LDS library having the 19th century records of this tiny Russian town
      were pretty low, since there hadn't been any records since the mid
      1920's or so, and Semen-who-went-away was one of the few who actually
      *left*, as opposed to going off to war and not coming back or going to
      the next town, so there's not much genealogical interest in the town.

      jenn
      --
      Jenn Ridley
      jridley@...