Re: [sig] thanks on fairy tale info & "screwup"

  • Marilee Humason
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 19, 2002
      --- jetticus <wschulz1@...> wrote:
      > First, thanks for info on Vasilissa. Just today
      > someone posted to
      > another board the site where it can be viewed /w
      > pic.s. I just love
      > the artist's work too. And, I was so hoping the
      > costume would work.

      I know what you mean, I wish there was an event where
      one could wear fairytale garb!

      and I just love that particular
      > costume - although I'm
      > too old to portray her by a few decades.

      Nonsense! Older women wore stuff like that too! We are
      not too old!!

      I also found that
      > very many records
      > from Poland and surrounding areas were thought to be
      > > were actually found in warehouses in Germany.

      My Mom and I went to Slovakia last summer. She does
      Geneology and got to a point where she couldn't get
      any further without actually going to the place
      itself.
      We found the village her Grandma came from and the
      church, the minister was very nice, he did not have
      the record of their marriage, but he did have a record
      of my great uncle Andy's baptismal. He said the
      communists took their books and ripped them in half
      and took half with them. But not to Germany.They are
      somewhere in Slovakia, and apparantly some have been
      found and returned to villages, just not ours yet.
      It is still possible your stuff is out there.
      Baroness Anastasia

      http://autos.yahoo.com
    • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 20, 2002
        Greetings!

        Well, I may be stomped, but there is not very much evidence that that clothing
        was imposible for period. It is typical "lack of evidence" not "evidence of
        lack". The thing is in some other problems.

        1. "Miriskusniks" (Bilibin, Vasnetsov, afair Roerikh) served the same role as
        Preraffaelites in Britain. I.e.: they formed their own myth of the Ancient
        Times of their country, using what they knew. And the thing is that right at
        that time (second half 19 century) Russia discovered the Northy as a reserve of
        the old culture, where they sang Bylinas of 14 century, wore clothing items
        based on medieval samples, etc. But - see #2

        2. Not that there was NOTHING period in the North. But there were lots of
        silver & gold traders who bought old gold/silver embroidered clothes in
        hundreds, burnt them and got their precious metal, stupid vandals. So somewhere
        in late 19 century they started consulting not the rich clothing of their
        foremothers but their memory. So the closer to 1900 the dress is made, the
        worse is the resemblance to original patterns of 14-15-16 centuries, that,
        frankly speaking, didn't change much in the course of years. 1900s hit the
        tradition much worse.

        3. One more pain in the - let your modesty choose the part of the body :-)
        As the Miriskusniks chose the most talked-of patterns, they omitted the humble
        fact that there was a certain border between sarafan-based and shirt and
        plakhta-based women's clothing, and it lies along the Belgorod-Kursk-Penza
        line, as I can rely on my memory (the book on Clothing of the Eastern Europe
        and the book on the Russian embroidery are at home while I hit the keys at
        work). So, Bilibin made a Lubok based on North Muscovite Rus, and Vasnetsov
        compiled simply anything. No use relying on them whilst your centre of
        attention lies further south.

        bye,
        Alex

        Mail.Ru - удобно, доступно, надежно!