Re: [sig] Digest Number 938

  • Jeff Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 18 10:34 PM
      --- Alastair Millar <alastair@...> wrote:

      > registrar stuck: "Well, even in
      > the (East of England in the) late 19th/early 20th
      > century you can't expect
      > to have every birth recorded. After all, the
      > standard method of collecting
      > data was just for the district registrar to ride
      > round once a month and ask
      > if anyone had been born in the last few weeks...")

      This was also true in the US. My g-great aunt Bea had
      to produce a family bible with her birth recorded in
      it in order to get her social security, since her 1905
      birth was not recorded elsewhere.

      Barcsi Janos

      =====
      JEFFREY C. SMITH
      Parsberg (Oberpfalz), Germany

      "If you listen to fools, The mob rules" - Black Sabbath

      http://autos.yahoo.com