Slavic Feast

  • jdmiller2@students.wisc.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 1999
      Just thought I'd beat you to it, Jadwiga! :)
      Forwarded from the SCA-ARTS list
      Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 11:31:01 -0400 (EDT)
      From: Jenne Heise <jenne@...>

      On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, dwilson wrote:
      > . I have been to one time line feasts (Arab ones with belly dancers :-)
      > But mostly they are from all over time and place. Some of the local Shire
      > rules are no tomatoes, no potatoes and no coffee. No new world foods. We
      > debate on something's like strawberries and cheat on others like white
      > beets. (I have never seen them and I like borsch)
      > Sheepstealer

      *grin* Sheepstealer, are't you from Aethlemarc? Come to Cracow
      Festivities, in Eisental (Bethlehem PA) Jan 29, 2000. It's an indoor
      tourney and Slavic themed event beig run by Tansos Istvan (aka Stefan the
      Wanderer) and katry'na Neblaga Volchkova. The cook this year is the same
      one from Last year, Stefan's mother, who is an absolutely bang-up
      Hungarian cook mundanely and works very hard to give the feast a Slavic
      character. This year, the day board will be done by Isabeau and be
      Croatian, I think. Last year, I did a Polish dayboard with mushroom and
      beef soups, bread, pickled veggies, etc.

      No, this is't just a gratuitous event plug. This particular event walks
      the line between being a limited focus event and a generic event, and it's a
      good example of the kind of themed event you can do successful in an area
      where limited focus events are *ahem* looked askance at.

      Aother example is the former Landsknecht event, where the feast was almost
      always German in character.

      "in verbis et in herbis, et in lapidibus sunt virtutes"
      (In words, and in plants, and in stones, there is power.)