depictions of folklore/tales?

  • jetticus
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 11, 2002
      I have tried using Poltran to help me with this site but it's not
      helping with a particular question I have. This site was suggested
      for the great pictures it has of early Polish artifacts, and while
      perusing it I found pictures of what I think may folklore/fairy tale
      characters. I'm particularly interested in fig.s 58, 60, and 62.
      One of them looks "Halloween", all three look almost like 1920's or
      so. Which is really confusing since the rest of the site seems to be
      of rather ancient pieces.
      The site is http://acn.waw.pl/qkiel76/ , any help greatly apreciated.
      Thanks for any help, Kay
    • Marilee Humason
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 13, 2002
        Hello,
        the numbers you mention are from Russian fairy tales,
        I have the books.
        Baroness Anastasia
        --- jetticus <wschulz1@...> wrote:
        > I have tried using Poltran to help me with this
        > site but it's not
        > helping with a particular question I have. This site
        > was suggested
        > for the great pictures it has of early Polish
        > artifacts, and while
        > perusing it I found pictures of what I think may
        > folklore/fairy tale
        > characters. I'm particularly interested in fig.s 58,
        > 60, and 62.
        > One of them looks "Halloween", all three look
        > almost like 1920's or
        > so. Which is really confusing since the rest of the
        > site seems to be
        > of rather ancient pieces.
        > The site is http://acn.waw.pl/qkiel76/ , any help
        > greatly apreciated.
        > Thanks for any help, Kay

        http://autos.yahoo.com
      • jetticus
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 14, 2002
          Baroness,
          Could you tell me what the fairy tale is that depicts the woman wiht
          the skull on a staff? Do you happen to know if the basic costume,
          long sleeved, mid calf apron/overskirt was based on period clothing?
          It seems to me that I've seen something very similar but cannot place
          it.
          Pani Kasia

        • MHoll@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 14, 2002
            In a message dated 7/14/2002 9:32:05 PM Central Daylight Time,
            wschulz1@... writes:

            > Do you happen to know if the basic costume,
            > long sleeved, mid calf apron/overskirt was based on period clothing?

            No, on folk costume.

            Predslava.

          • Marilee Humason
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 15, 2002
              Unfortunately alot of the fairy tale books are doing
              "Old Believer" costumes, which was 1700's on. The
              Dress in the Folkwear patterns is an example of that.
              Some of the costumes of the nobility are based on real
              but once again, OOP. If they are form fitting or show
              the body shape, you can pretty much rule them out.
              Russians believed in the "static figure" Not showing
              the women have a shape. Of Course, really early period
              is different yet again. I am a 16th-17th century
              researcher.
              Sorry, I like the fairytale pictures too.
              Baroness Anastasia
              --- jetticus <wschulz1@...> wrote:
              > Baroness,
              > Could you tell me what the fairy tale is that
              > depicts the woman wiht
              > the skull on a staff? Do you happen to know if the
              > basic costume,
              > long sleeved, mid calf apron/overskirt was based on
              > period clothing?
              > It seems to me that I've seen something very similar
              > but cannot place
              > it.
              > Pani Kasia
              >
              > --- In sig@y..., Marilee Humason <stasiwa@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > Hello,
              > > the numbers you mention are from Russian fairy
              > tales,
              > > I have the books.
              > > Baroness Anastasia

              http://autos.yahoo.com
            • Jenn Ridley
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 15, 2002
                On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 11:37:59 -0700 (PDT), Marilee Humason
                <stasiwa@...> wrote:

                >Unfortunately alot of the fairy tale books are doing
                >"Old Believer" costumes, which was 1700's on. The
                >Dress in the Folkwear patterns is an example of that.

                If you read the info that comes with the Folkwear Pattern, they are
                very clear about that. IIRC, they say that it's a style worn by Old
                Believers in the US *based* on traditional clothing..... (Dad says
                that there were ladies in the church he grew up in who dressed like
                that.)

                stasia
                --
                Jenn Ridley