Re: [sig] Does anyone have this book...

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11, 2002
      > although I do feel the book is worth the money it should not be highly
      > regarded as a primary or secondary source.

      Though there are quotations from some primary sources, the text is in fact a quite good
      secondary source on what foods were eaten. The recipes are in fact re-creations, not redactions,
      and cannot be used for SCA A&S.

      The SCA cooking ideal that the only way to know anything about period foodways is to recreate a
      few recipes from primary sources is, well, a bit misleading. We don't know much about what
      dishes from Poland in period were like. There is a good bit of primary and secondary material
      (in Polish or Latin) which is not accessible to us in the US, in terms of what foods were eaten
      and some about what dishes were eaten.

      -- Jadwiga, who has just finished reading about the documentary and archaeological evidence for
      what people ate in Medieval York and noticing that it doesn't completely match 'Two
      fifteenth-century cookery books' etc.

      " Whatsoever might be the extent of the private calamity, I hope it
      will not interfere with the public business of the country." -Sheridan