Re: [sig] Does anyone have this book...

  • Mark Shubelka
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11, 2002
      I av theese wun tooo! Ok enough with the silly french accent Kythe

      Actually this book is both good and bad. The recipes are wonderful, my
      wife and i thoroughly enjoy them and it's nice to see some food that's
      not always Gulumpkis, Perogis, and Kelbasa (sadly all of which arent
      really originated from Poland).

      On the other hand there is very scant if any documentation showing where
      these recipies came from which is a pity.

      although I do feel the book is worth the money it should not be highly
      regarded as a primary or secondary source.

      Apollonia Margherita wrote:

      >Food and Drink in Medieval Poland; rediscovering a cuisine of the past -
      >$29.95
      >Maria Dembinska, translated by Magdalena Thomas; edited and adapted by
      >William Woys Weaver. It has been very difficult to find authentic,
      >documented material about the culinary history of Eastern Europe. The lack
      >of available manuscripts and difficulties of translation made serious
      >research well nigh impossible. Happily, this is no longer true. This new
      >edition of Ms Dembinska's 1963 work explores medieval Polish cuisine,
      >covering the eating habits of various social and economic groups. The book
      >includes 35 redacted or reconstructed recipes. 200 pages, 40 b/w
      >illustrations. University of Pennsylvania Press.
      >
      >Is it good? Accurate?
      >
      >Thanks,
      >
      >Apollonia
      >
      >Apollonia Margherita
      >Edmund:
      > It's green.
      >Percy:
      > Yes, my lord!
      >Edmund:
      > Percy, the colour of gold, is gold. Whatever you have discovered if it
      >has a name would be called green.
      >Percy: [on discovering the secret of alchemy]
      > Oh Edmund can it be true, that I hold in my mortal hands a nugget of
      >purest GREEN?

    • Jenne Heise
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 11, 2002
        > although I do feel the book is worth the money it should not be highly
        > regarded as a primary or secondary source.

        Though there are quotations from some primary sources, the text is in fact a quite good
        secondary source on what foods were eaten. The recipes are in fact re-creations, not redactions,
        and cannot be used for SCA A&S.

        The SCA cooking ideal that the only way to know anything about period foodways is to recreate a
        few recipes from primary sources is, well, a bit misleading. We don't know much about what
        dishes from Poland in period were like. There is a good bit of primary and secondary material
        (in Polish or Latin) which is not accessible to us in the US, in terms of what foods were eaten
        and some about what dishes were eaten.

        -- Jadwiga, who has just finished reading about the documentary and archaeological evidence for
        what people ate in Medieval York and noticing that it doesn't completely match 'Two
        fifteenth-century cookery books' etc.

        " Whatsoever might be the extent of the private calamity, I hope it
        will not interfere with the public business of the country." -Sheridan