Re: [sig] Fw: Second century Slav inscription ? (longish)

  • Vaclav von Pressburg
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2002
      On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 12:11:02PM +0200, Alastair Millar wrote:
      . . .
      > the authors of this article, there is no doubt about the interpretation of
      > the contents of this inscription. It is written in archaic Old Polish (and
      > really should be read: [my] robili . sita)[a] bearing witness that Old
      > Slavic craftsmanship had a much wider extent than some archaeologists have
      > been willing to suggest. Despite the convictions of Kazimierz God?owski and
      > Micha? Parczewski, this stamp is an irrefutable argument in favour of the
      > incontrovertible thesis of the activities of our forefather far to the west
      > of the [Western] Bug already in the second century AD [5].

      In the second century I would expect an aorist past tense. The -l
      form would still have been a past participle as we see in the
      earliest literary remains that we have of Slavic.

      I would also be very surprised if we could tell the difference
      between Polish and Czech or even Russian at this date.

      --
      Waclaw von Pressburg Veritas liberabit uos
      vaclav@...