Tamga

  • Butler309@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30 3:11 PM
      > I think that a sustained effort (liqueurs, and backrubs?) could get
      > a variance for Tamga, but I went non-active before I undertook said
      > effort and then changed my Tamga anyway.

      I'm not convinced this will/would happen. We used to register mon.
      We stopped. People complained and are complaining, but we're still
      not registering mon.

      Thanks for the clarification on the 'slot machine rule.'

      I think the original reason for the Slot Machine Rule was to maintain a
      certain . . . hmm . . . artistic consistency?
      I still hope that a sustained lobby might get a variance, perhaps limited to
      conjoined geometrical-type charges. The Concept is that the tamga is really
      One charge, but is being described piecemeal for blazonry purposes. While
      it might violate the rule in the Blazon, the actual image would not be the
      ugly mish-mash that the SMR was made to prevent. I think it's a valid plea
      for a documentable European heraldic style that can be accommodated with
      minimal effort.

      Oddly enough, my first SCA personna was Japanese, and I went 'round and
      'round over a Mon too. My understanding then was that the problems were that
      Mons are 'Fieldless,' a single charge was a conflict nightmare, and that
      Kanji were forbidden. I currently advise my Japanese friends to register a
      simple device and then use the main charge as a Mon for kimono, banners, and
      such.

      (Down here in Meridies, I was the Heralds' Bane: Hard-to-pronounce names and
      bizarre Heraldry! I confess that I picked Leszek for everyday use, and
      Szczytna just to geek the Heralds :-) )

      - Steve Butler/Leszek z Szczytna

    • Butler309@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 15, 2004
        Pretty much everything I think I know about Tamga can be found here:
        http://www.goldschp.net/SIG/slovo/news08.html

        As they were often used as cattle brands, and general identifiers on
        possessions, I expect you can display one pretty much any way you please. (As we've
        often noted, one of the joys of doing Slavic is that very few people are going
        to know as much about it as you do, so you're pretty much invisible to the
        Authenticity Police.)

        Be aware that tamga are very hard to get past SCA heraldry standards, and you
        might want to consider a 'translated tamga' which uses standard European
        heraldic charges to approximate the shape of the Tamga.
        http://tulgey.browser.net/~jenne/poland/heraldry_article.html

        Beware the 'Slot Machine' Rule!!
        http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/boing.html

        - Steve Butler/Leszek

      • lynx@citynet.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 16, 2004
          Thanks for all your responses. I am aware of how hard they are to get passed as
          heraldry. ALthough i know of a couple of people who have done it by the piece
          meal methed of describing it in sections in heraldric terms. I have decided
          though that I will not bother to try to get it passed and simply use it as it
          would have been used. That is why I was inquiring about the plate they wore on
          the belt..I saw it described somewhere? sometime in the past? And with moving
          and CRS I can't remember where. Mostly I am trying to find out if indeed they
          wore the Tamga on a plate attached to the belt...and if so what was the
          discription of these plates..what were they made of..etc? Anyone know?