name help

  • RPGtemp
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 27, 2002
      one of the hardest things in my opnion. A name.

      Anyway, I'm thinking along the lines of

      Boris Dragoslav (Meduvedec) ((medvedev???))

      or with syn???

      does this seem to make sense?

      thanks,
      Andrew
    • MHoll@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 27, 2002
        In a message dated 6/27/2002 9:39:01 PM Central Daylight Time,
        AKC7@... writes:

        > one of the hardest things in my opnion. A name.

        What language? What time period? Are you going for really historical or for
        registerable?

        I couldn't quite pin down what you mentioned in your post.

        We'll help as much as we can!

      • RPGtemp
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 27, 2002
          > What language? What time period? Are you going for really
          historical or for
          > registerable?
          >
          > I couldn't quite pin down what you mentioned in your post.
          >
          > We'll help as much as we can!

          Russian -time period 13th cent. basicly during the mongol
          conflicts. 1223-1242.

          Well I would like to be both historical and registerable, but I'm
          leaning on more historical. But I'm not sure exactly what the percs
          are for having a registered name besides not having it copied.

          thanks very much, :)
          Andrew
        • Diane Sawyer
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 27, 2002
            --- RPGtemp <AKC7@...> wrote:
            {snip}

            > Well I would like to be both historical and
            > registerable, but I'm
            > leaning on more historical. But I'm not sure
            > exactly what the percs
            > are for having a registered name besides not having
            > it copied.
            >
            > thanks very much, :)
            > Andrew

            It means you can register arms, and in some kingdoms,
            there are privileges associated with having registered
            arms.

            Tasha

            http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
          • MHoll@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 28, 2002
              In a message dated 6/27/2002 11:45:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
              AKC7@... writes:

              > But I'm not sure exactly what the percs
              > are for having a registered name besides not having it copied.

              If you register a name, you can register armory. If you register armory, it
              will appear on the scroll of any award you may receive. Otherwise, no armory
              on scroll. And most of the time, during the registration process, you learn
              something about your chosen culture.

              Predslava.

            • RPGtemp
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 28, 2002
                Okie, yes I would like to register my name if possible. :)
              • MHoll@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 28, 2002
                  AKC7@... writes:

                  > Boris Dragoslav (Meduvedec) ((medvedev???))

                  Boris works.

                  Dragoslav, is Slavic, but in my opinion, not Russian. Is it still in the 3d
                  ed. of Paul's dictionary? Considering the source quoted in the 2nd ed., I'd
                  be leery of it.

                  Meduvedec is not Russian.

                  Medvedev is.

                  Personally, I'd go for Boris Medvedev, but if you want a second given name,
                  make sure you pick a non-Christian name. Dragoslav would be registerable, but
                  if you want to make the extra effort, you could come up with a beautiful
                  Russian name.

                  Boris (the kniaz/prince) and his brother Gleb were canonized in the 1st 1/2
                  of the 11th century, a decade or two after their deaths. So by the mid/late
                  1200s, they would be established Russian saints, ie the name Boris would be a
                  baptismal name.

                  For a more in-depth explanation of baptismal vs. non-baptismal (native)
                  names, I'll refer you to the Dictionary of Period Russian Names on-line. It's
                  on one of the SIG sites.

                  Good luck.

                  Predslava Vydrina

                  Per fess embattled Azure and Gules, two otters passant Or.
                  <A HREF="http://slavic.freeservers.com/">SLAVIC INTEREST GROUP</A> http://slavic.freeservers.com

                • Dmitriy V Ryaboy
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 28, 2002
                    Hi Andrew,
                    Boris Medvedev makes sense, Dragomir Medvedev makes sense, Boris Dragomir
                    Medvedev -- not so much (but last time I said that Paul gave me a
                    well-deserved lashing :).
                    Why not Andrey? Just wondering..

                    -Dmitriy Shelomin

                  • MHoll@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 28, 2002
                      In a message dated 6/28/2002 8:58:21 PM Central Daylight Time,
                      dvryaboy@... writes:

                      > Boris Medvedev makes sense, Dragomir Medvedev makes sense, Boris Dragomir
                      > Medvedev -- not so much

                      It doesn't in modern Russian naming practice. It does in period (to
                      1600/1650) Russian naming practice.

                      Predslava.

                    • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 29, 2002
                        Greetings Dmitri!

                        >Boris Medvedev makes sense, Dragomir Medvedev makes sense, Boris >Dragomir
                        >Medvedev -- not so much (but last time I said that Paul gave me a
                        >well-deserved lashing :).

                        Yesss. You get the feelin', don't ya.
                        -mir names are either princes' ones (Rus) or Balcan slavic (Dragomir,
                        actually). Show me any -mir Russian name that doesn't belong to a prince. And
                        no second names with Russians :-). So it's a sort of "Sprechen you po-Russki?"
                        "- O, oui!".

                        bye,
                        Alex.
                      • Elizabeth Lear
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 2, 2002
                          > > Boris Medvedev makes sense

                          Nice name. :)

                          -Yelizaveta Medvedeva
                        • Diane Sawyer
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 3, 2002
                            --- Elizabeth Lear <eliz@...> wrote:
                            > > > Boris Medvedev makes sense
                            >
                            > Nice name. :)
                            >
                            > -Yelizaveta Medvedeva

                            Yeah, I kinda like it. :-D

                            Nastasiia Medvedeva

                            http://sbc.yahoo.com
                          • Amie Mischell Tiffany
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 26, 2002
                              I am a new member of the SCA in florida and am doing a hungarian
                              personia can anyone help me come up with a last name. The first name
                              I am using is Anasztazia. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

                              Thanks,
                              Amie
                            • janeravenswood
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 26, 2002
                                I just was doing the same thing recently. At least in later period
                                Hungary, last names or by-names were generally descriptive or
                                locative i.e. "Anasztazia the Fox" or "Anasztazia from a certain
                                city". They can also be based on your father's name.
                                The folks at http://www.s-gabriel.org/docs/ were a really wonderful
                                help. There are several documents about constructing Hungarian
                                names. If you go to their home page, you can search prior research
                                they've done. If you search for "Durko", you can see the research
                                they did for me (report# 2522). The search is slow but it's worth to
                                see what they've done.

                                Darka (an alternate, though not documentable to period, spelling for
                                Durko)

                                --- In sig@y..., "Amie Mischell Tiffany" <noloveforyou1999@y...>