Re: [sig] 14th century chemise in Russian museum?

  • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 7, 2002
      Greetings Cainder!

      >The chemise was found in 1867 at Castle (Burg) Rahnis in Ranis in >the
      ThЭringen region of what used to be East Germany. I wrote the >curator at the
      cast inquiring if the chemise was still there. The >curator at the museum
      wrote back and said that the chemise is not >there anymore. Apparently, when
      the Russians came through at the >end of WWII, they took everything from the
      museum. Whether they >took everything back to Russia or destroyed it was not
      addressed in >the letter.
      Not necessarily. It really MAY be in the backroom stuff of, say, State Historic
      Museum, but, you see, it could have been simply burnt in an air raid. All in
      all, Russia is much more centralized than the US. If it is in Russia, it's in
      Moscow (95-99% sure). And I remember nothing of the kind. It may be off
      exhibition, BTW. Then it's either: returned to Germany in the previous decade
      (I remember at least two such campaigns), or stored NOBODY knows where and is
      waiting till somebody stumbles upon it by chance.

      > My question is this: has anyone on this list ever heard of or seen a 14th
      century chemise in any of the musuems in Russia?

      AFAIR one of, or really the most ancient type shirts available to scholars are
      XVI (XV??? they could have been sewn in advance) shirts from the crypt of Tsar
      Ivan IV and some princes. If there were some samples of earlier time, they'd
      have got widely known long before. I have no evidence of such. Though I'll ask
      my felow Muscovites :-)

      bye,
      Alex.