14th century chemise in Russian museum?

  • Colleen McDonald
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2002
      Greetings all,

      I am currently researching 14th century chemises and my path has led me to this list in a roundabout way - I'm hoping that someone can help.

      The one extant chemise that I know of is the one shown in Kohler's costume book (sorry, don't have the title here at work). I've traced the information back to a book by Moriz Heyne published in 1903. The chemise was found in 1867 at Castle (Burg) Rahnis in Ranis in the Thüringen region of what used to be East Germany. I wrote the curator at the cast inquiring if the chemise was still there. The curator at the museum wrote back and said that the chemise is not there anymore. Apparently, when the Russians came through at the end of WWII, they took everything from the museum. Whether they took everything back to Russia or destroyed it was not addressed in the letter.

      My question is this: has anyone on this list ever heard of or seen a 14th century chemise in any of the musuems in Russia?

      Thanks for your help with this!

      In service, I remain

      Cainder nic Sheanlaoich
      Barony of Madrone
      An Tir
    • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 7, 2002
        Greetings Cainder!

        >The chemise was found in 1867 at Castle (Burg) Rahnis in Ranis in >the
        ThЭringen region of what used to be East Germany. I wrote the >curator at the
        cast inquiring if the chemise was still there. The >curator at the museum
        wrote back and said that the chemise is not >there anymore. Apparently, when
        the Russians came through at the >end of WWII, they took everything from the
        museum. Whether they >took everything back to Russia or destroyed it was not
        addressed in >the letter.
        Not necessarily. It really MAY be in the backroom stuff of, say, State Historic
        Museum, but, you see, it could have been simply burnt in an air raid. All in
        all, Russia is much more centralized than the US. If it is in Russia, it's in
        Moscow (95-99% sure). And I remember nothing of the kind. It may be off
        exhibition, BTW. Then it's either: returned to Germany in the previous decade
        (I remember at least two such campaigns), or stored NOBODY knows where and is
        waiting till somebody stumbles upon it by chance.

        > My question is this: has anyone on this list ever heard of or seen a 14th
        century chemise in any of the musuems in Russia?

        AFAIR one of, or really the most ancient type shirts available to scholars are
        XVI (XV??? they could have been sewn in advance) shirts from the crypt of Tsar
        Ivan IV and some princes. If there were some samples of earlier time, they'd
        have got widely known long before. I have no evidence of such. Though I'll ask
        my felow Muscovites :-)

        bye,
        Alex.