Re[2]: [sig] Druzhina

  • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6, 2002
      Greetings Laura!
      > I hear that Boyar is comes from the Turkic/Khazar language and was used
      > as a term for Nobility.

      Maybe, though can't say for sure. When my favourite academic bookstore
      opens again or I have time to travel to another part of Moscow, I'll simply
      consult with the dictionary of Old Russian. In my Joint Dictionary of Turcic
      languages there's no such term. It doesn't correspond with Turcic "Bahadur" or
      Mongol "Oglan", as well. Suleimenov also doesn't mention it in his Az i Ya,
      speaking of the oldest Turcic borrowings into Russian.

      bye,
      Alex.