Polish court manners

  • MoxFool@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2002
      Doers anyone know where I can find any particular court manners of the Poles?
      Thanks!

      Zygmunt

      The 20th Century's Greatest Athlete - Jim Thorpe

      Tom Nadratowski <A HREF="http://www.footballguys.com">Footballguys.com</A>

    • vespirus@socrates.berkeley.edu
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 15, 2002
        On Wed, 5 Jun 2002 MoxFool@... wrote:

        > Doers anyone know where I can find any particular court manners of the Poles?
        > Thanks!

        I have found an article listing Polish and Lithuanian courtiers (it should
        be on the NAMES page of the Slavic Bibliography we've been keeping). I
        don't think the article addressed menners, but it might have some leads in
        its bibliography.

        --Walraven van Nijmegen
      • Renata Dobrowolska
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 16, 2002
          Hello!

          I do not know any publication originally in English about my ancestors and
          as I live in POland I can only advise Polish resources. There is one book
          entitled "Food and Drink in Medieval POland", printed in England and
          written there by a Polish woman(I forgot her name) recently. This book was
          not edited in Polish at all.
          BTW- I've been a 14 century re-enactor for 5 years.
          --------
          Wojciech Wilk

          www.bog.org.pl
          -the site of my group

          On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 vespirus@... wrote:

          > On Wed, 5 Jun 2002 MoxFool@... wrote:
          >
          > > Doers anyone know where I can find any particular court manners of the Poles?
          > > Thanks!
          >
          > I have found an article listing Polish and Lithuanian courtiers (it should
          > be on the NAMES page of the Slavic Bibliography we've been keeping). I
          > don't think the article addressed menners, but it might have some leads in
          > its bibliography.
          >
          > --Walraven van Nijmegen
        • Jenne Heise
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 16, 2002
            > I do not know any publication originally in English about my ancestors and
            > as I live in POland I can only advise Polish resources. There is one book
            > entitled "Food and Drink in Medieval POland", printed in England and
            > written there by a Polish woman(I forgot her name) recently. This book was
            > not edited in Polish at all.

            It actually doesn't have much about manners. If you can read Polish you
            may want to get the original Dissertation by Maria Dembinska, as the
            version published by the University of Pennsylvania Press is heavily
            edited and includes non period recipes.

            There's something about 16th century polish society in Vol. 1 of _God's
            Playground, a History of Poland_ by Norman Davies, and there is some stuff
            in
            The Polish Nobility in the Middle Ages. ed. by Antoni Gasiorowski.
            (Warsaw, Polska Akademia Nauk, 1984)

            " Whatsoever might be the extent of the private calamity, I hope it
            will not interfere with the public business of the country." -Sheridan
          • orlirva
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 24, 2002
              See Bystron, Jan S. Dzieje Obyczajow w Dawnej Polsce, Wiek XVI-
              Xviii with chapters on manners and many other things of great living
              history interest, games, sports, politics, trades, fashion, etc.
              An english language book is (I think called) a History of Manners
              that has a chapter on Polish/east European 16-17th C. manners.
              -Rick