RE: [sig] Some stuff recently found

  • Anne Ferlat
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 5, 2002
      Dear Alexey

      where is the information on the site (I read Russian but I did not find it)
      ?
      Thank you.

      Anne
    • Elizabeth Lear
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 5, 2002
        Whoops, sorry - I've just appended the bilio to the file, and included
        it below as well.

        There's another link to the handout:

        http://indra.com/~eliz/SCA/handout1.1.txt

        -Yelizaveta

        BIBLIOGRAPHY

        Bakst, James A History of Russian-Soviet Music. Dodd, Mead & Co, New
        York 1966: pp 3-16

        Leonard, Richard Anthony A History of Russian Music. The MacMillan
        Co, New York 1957: pp 11-25

        Lvov, Nikolai and Ivan Prach A Collection of Russian Folk Songs UMI
        Reasearch press, Ann Arbor, MI 1987

        Mizynec, Victor Folk Instruments of Ukraine. Bayda Books, Doncaster,
        Australia 1987.

        Reeder, Roberta, trans and ed Russian Folk Lyrics. Indiana University
        Press, Bloomington, IN 1993

        Riha, Thomas, ed Readings in Russian Civilization, Volume 1: Russia
        Before Peter the Great, 900-1700. University of Chicago Press,
        Chicago, IL 1964.

        Seaman, Gerald R. History of Russian Music, Volume 1: From Its Origins
        to Dargomyzhsky. Frederick A. Praeger, New York 1967: pp 1-54

        Swan, Alfred J. Russian Music and Its Sources in Chant and Folk-Song.
        WW Norton & Co, New York 1973: pp10-47

        Tcherepnin, Alexander Anthology of Russian Music. M.P. Belaieff, Bonn
        1972

        (end)
      • kataryna_dragonweaver
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 5, 2002
          Thanks.
          -Kataryna
        • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 5, 2002
            Greetings Kseniia!

            >Who put together the collection?
            "Kirsha Danilov's songs", first edited in late 1700s, collected by order of
            famous factory owner Demidov, from of the Demidov clan that owned about half
            factories in the Urals in the 18th century. The collection was put together by
            some Kirsha (Cyrill) Danilov, who was traced in the factory documents and some
            notes by Demidov. According to the notes, the songs were written down in 1740s,
            and decades before they were performed by Kirsha, who learned them from his
            father, a descendant of a Skomorokh dynasty (the word Skomorokh wasn't
            mentioned in the documents, but there were no other minstrels with dynasties in
            Russia). The author (performer) lived in the Urals, where he (and his father?)
            was taken from the North of Russia, to work at a factory during the reign of
            Peter I. Mine is the first full edition of the book, so the editor can also be
            named the one who put the collection together. The tunes are (for the first
            time since first edition) were a joint work of Kirsha and somebody who knew how
            to write the tunes down, and done as tunes for the violin.

            >What kinds of songs are there?

            Different ones. There are some Bylinas, we have already had some quarrel about
            it at the Kaganate. The Bylinas are Kiev- and Novgorod-bound, that proves once
            again that Kirsha first lived in Arkhangelsk region. There are some historic
            songs (of later time), about Ivan IV's reign time and later, they are
            Moscovia-bound and some are about the conquest of the Urals in 1500-1700s.
            There are some "everyday" songs, and some songs that were traditionally
            censored in earlier editions, as they are, ergm, ecstatic. It is a common
            mistake, made by first scholars of folk lore (digging not in village
            storytellers but books like Afanasiv), that "chastity is characteristic of the
            Russian fairy tale", though even Afanasiev worked with dozens of texts that
            belonged to traditional themes (like Baba Yaga) and could by no means be
            offered to children. The same with the songs, as the wedding ceremony was too
            closely connected with the cult of fertility and thus "censored" repertoir was
            in use. There are at least two such songs in the book, and they indeed carry
            the carnival-like spirit that reminds well of, say, Bocaccio or Chaucer.

            >I'd love to see these! I've got a scanner - any chance I could get >you to
            mail me some photocopies, and I could scan them in and post >them to the web
            page?

            Well, thanks really. But, you see, I live not in Moscow, Idaho, but in Moscow,
            Russia, and posting of 200-300 pages photocopied is about same trouble as
            sending 20-30 megabytes via email (it's easy to copy a document but costs a
            little fortune/lots to copy a book, also some trouble with posting something
            big to the US). The thing is that the "original" editor used by you English
            native speakers, does not have Russian fonts and can't understand Russian
            electronic text, so I can't send the lyrics in .txt format already. The part of
            the song that really needs .jpg format, is 10-20 square inches of the song
            tunes per song.

            >I could also do transliterations/translations. (Well, you could >probably do
            them better, but I was trying to save you some time!)

            Thanks a lot. We could do the work as joint effort, BTW

            bye,
            Alex

            P.S. And, BTW, why not have a downloadable source of Russian fonts, etc at SIG
            homepage? Russian is too easy to read (I won't say anything about Grammar, but
            we don't need it in songs). Paul, if you are reading this - what'd you say?
          • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 5, 2002
              Greetings Kataryna!

              Yes, I'm a Yahoo member, that is a way, yes. About the minstrels, some info not
              period at all. In 1970s (80s???) about the nicest piece of poetry concerning
              Ukrainian minstrels was written by Vitaly Korotich (more known as chief editor
              of Ogonyok democratic magazine during Perestroyka). It was translated into
              Russian by a brilliant Russian poet Yunna Moritz, and became a song with music
              by Sergey Nikitin. Sometimes it was performed in Ukrainian, which was equally
              touching. So, if you need to see how the Ukrainians could feel their minstrels'
              way, try to find it as a poem or a song - "Poslednaya Pros'ba Starogo Lirnika"
              (Last Wish of an Old Lyre Player), or "Maidan" ("market square"). It portrays
              the thing, though not documentally but psychologically.

              bye,
              Alex.
            • yanajenn
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 6, 2002
                --- "Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik" <Posadnik@m...> wrote:

                > P.S. And, BTW, why not have a downloadable source of Russian fonts,
                etc at SIG
                > homepage? Russian is too easy to read (I won't say anything about
                Grammar, but
                > we don't need it in songs). Paul, if you are reading this - what'd
                you say?

                T%his is actually in the works for the Russian Knowledge Page,
                although I am a bit behind in updating and maintaining it, as many are
                aware (more on that in the next message).

                If you can send me the music info in a Russian font, I can transfer it
                into readable text for a web browser. The RKP would be a good place
                to have some music info.

                --Yana
              • Kseniia Smol'nyanina
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 6, 2002
                  Hi again, Alex -

                  Shoot, I completely forgot that you're in Moscow! *grumble* In that case I understand the issue with photocopies, etc. (I've done research over there myself.)

                  I'd love to somehow work with you on this project, if we can figure out how to do it. This is exactly the kind of resource I've always wanted to find! I know quite a few of the folk songs collected in this century by Dmitri Pokrovski, but I would love to find some that are arguably more period, not to mention songs for solo voice (it's hard to find people who sing in the Russian folk style over here!).

                  Let's talk off the list and see if there is some way we can do this together. I speak Russian, so that's a help, I think. Could you send me the bibliographical info on the book? Maybe there's a tiny possibility that I can find a copy in the US and get my hands on it through interlibrary loan.

                  -- Kseniia, wishing she was back in Moscow
                • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 9, 2002
                    Greetings Kseniia!

                    Here's the bibliographical info of the book.

                    "Drevniye Rossiiskiye Stikhotvoreniya sobraniye Kirsheiu Danilovym"
                    under editorship of A.A.Gorelov, S.Petersburg, "Tropa Troyanova" 2000 ("Polnoye
                    Sobraniye Russkikh Bylin" series). The edition isn't academic, but they comment
                    extentively on all the points that disagree with some editions (instead of
                    giving ALL the variants), and put letters in italics in places where modern
                    rules of spelling disagree with the original variant of 18 century.

                    bye,
                    Alex.
                  • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 9, 2002
                      Greetings Yana!

                      >If you can send me the music info in a Russian font, I can transfer >it
                      >into readable text for a web browser. The RKP would be a good place
                      >to have some music info.

                      Sorry, I can't understand the idea. I can't send the music in Russian font, as
                      it's a kind of picture. There's a great lot of lyrics for every tune (3 pages
                      each song at average). Do you mean this?

                      bye,
                      Alex.