RE: [sig] Some stuff recently found

  • Anne Ferlat
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 5, 2002
      Dear Alexey

      where is the information on the site (I read Russian but I did not find it)
      ?
      Thank you.

      Anne
    • eclipsek@telusplanet.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 5, 2002
        Thank you.
        Do you have a bibliography for the article?
        -Kataryna
      • Elizabeth Lear
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 5, 2002
          Whoops, sorry - I've just appended the bilio to the file, and included
          it below as well.

          There's another link to the handout:

          http://indra.com/~eliz/SCA/handout1.1.txt

          -Yelizaveta

          BIBLIOGRAPHY

          Bakst, James A History of Russian-Soviet Music. Dodd, Mead & Co, New
          York 1966: pp 3-16

          Leonard, Richard Anthony A History of Russian Music. The MacMillan
          Co, New York 1957: pp 11-25

          Lvov, Nikolai and Ivan Prach A Collection of Russian Folk Songs UMI
          Reasearch press, Ann Arbor, MI 1987

          Mizynec, Victor Folk Instruments of Ukraine. Bayda Books, Doncaster,
          Australia 1987.

          Reeder, Roberta, trans and ed Russian Folk Lyrics. Indiana University
          Press, Bloomington, IN 1993

          Riha, Thomas, ed Readings in Russian Civilization, Volume 1: Russia
          Before Peter the Great, 900-1700. University of Chicago Press,
          Chicago, IL 1964.

          Seaman, Gerald R. History of Russian Music, Volume 1: From Its Origins
          to Dargomyzhsky. Frederick A. Praeger, New York 1967: pp 1-54

          Swan, Alfred J. Russian Music and Its Sources in Chant and Folk-Song.
          WW Norton & Co, New York 1973: pp10-47

          Tcherepnin, Alexander Anthology of Russian Music. M.P. Belaieff, Bonn
          1972

          (end)
        • kataryna_dragonweaver
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 5, 2002
            Thanks.
            -Kataryna
          • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 5, 2002
              Greetings Kseniia!

              >Who put together the collection?
              "Kirsha Danilov's songs", first edited in late 1700s, collected by order of
              famous factory owner Demidov, from of the Demidov clan that owned about half
              factories in the Urals in the 18th century. The collection was put together by
              some Kirsha (Cyrill) Danilov, who was traced in the factory documents and some
              notes by Demidov. According to the notes, the songs were written down in 1740s,
              and decades before they were performed by Kirsha, who learned them from his
              father, a descendant of a Skomorokh dynasty (the word Skomorokh wasn't
              mentioned in the documents, but there were no other minstrels with dynasties in
              Russia). The author (performer) lived in the Urals, where he (and his father?)
              was taken from the North of Russia, to work at a factory during the reign of
              Peter I. Mine is the first full edition of the book, so the editor can also be
              named the one who put the collection together. The tunes are (for the first
              time since first edition) were a joint work of Kirsha and somebody who knew how
              to write the tunes down, and done as tunes for the violin.

              >What kinds of songs are there?

              Different ones. There are some Bylinas, we have already had some quarrel about
              it at the Kaganate. The Bylinas are Kiev- and Novgorod-bound, that proves once
              again that Kirsha first lived in Arkhangelsk region. There are some historic
              songs (of later time), about Ivan IV's reign time and later, they are
              Moscovia-bound and some are about the conquest of the Urals in 1500-1700s.
              There are some "everyday" songs, and some songs that were traditionally
              censored in earlier editions, as they are, ergm, ecstatic. It is a common
              mistake, made by first scholars of folk lore (digging not in village
              storytellers but books like Afanasiv), that "chastity is characteristic of the
              Russian fairy tale", though even Afanasiev worked with dozens of texts that
              belonged to traditional themes (like Baba Yaga) and could by no means be
              offered to children. The same with the songs, as the wedding ceremony was too
              closely connected with the cult of fertility and thus "censored" repertoir was
              in use. There are at least two such songs in the book, and they indeed carry
              the carnival-like spirit that reminds well of, say, Bocaccio or Chaucer.

              >I'd love to see these! I've got a scanner - any chance I could get >you to
              mail me some photocopies, and I could scan them in and post >them to the web
              page?

              Well, thanks really. But, you see, I live not in Moscow, Idaho, but in Moscow,
              Russia, and posting of 200-300 pages photocopied is about same trouble as
              sending 20-30 megabytes via email (it's easy to copy a document but costs a
              little fortune/lots to copy a book, also some trouble with posting something
              big to the US). The thing is that the "original" editor used by you English
              native speakers, does not have Russian fonts and can't understand Russian
              electronic text, so I can't send the lyrics in .txt format already. The part of
              the song that really needs .jpg format, is 10-20 square inches of the song
              tunes per song.

              >I could also do transliterations/translations. (Well, you could >probably do
              them better, but I was trying to save you some time!)

              Thanks a lot. We could do the work as joint effort, BTW

              bye,
              Alex

              P.S. And, BTW, why not have a downloadable source of Russian fonts, etc at SIG
              homepage? Russian is too easy to read (I won't say anything about Grammar, but
              we don't need it in songs). Paul, if you are reading this - what'd you say?
            • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 5, 2002
                Greetings Kataryna!

                Yes, I'm a Yahoo member, that is a way, yes. About the minstrels, some info not
                period at all. In 1970s (80s???) about the nicest piece of poetry concerning
                Ukrainian minstrels was written by Vitaly Korotich (more known as chief editor
                of Ogonyok democratic magazine during Perestroyka). It was translated into
                Russian by a brilliant Russian poet Yunna Moritz, and became a song with music
                by Sergey Nikitin. Sometimes it was performed in Ukrainian, which was equally
                touching. So, if you need to see how the Ukrainians could feel their minstrels'
                way, try to find it as a poem or a song - "Poslednaya Pros'ba Starogo Lirnika"
                (Last Wish of an Old Lyre Player), or "Maidan" ("market square"). It portrays
                the thing, though not documentally but psychologically.

                bye,
                Alex.
              • yanajenn
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 6, 2002
                  --- "Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik" <Posadnik@m...> wrote:

                  > P.S. And, BTW, why not have a downloadable source of Russian fonts,
                  etc at SIG
                  > homepage? Russian is too easy to read (I won't say anything about
                  Grammar, but
                  > we don't need it in songs). Paul, if you are reading this - what'd
                  you say?

                  T%his is actually in the works for the Russian Knowledge Page,
                  although I am a bit behind in updating and maintaining it, as many are
                  aware (more on that in the next message).

                  If you can send me the music info in a Russian font, I can transfer it
                  into readable text for a web browser. The RKP would be a good place
                  to have some music info.

                  --Yana
                • Kseniia Smol'nyanina
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 6, 2002
                    Hi again, Alex -

                    Shoot, I completely forgot that you're in Moscow! *grumble* In that case I understand the issue with photocopies, etc. (I've done research over there myself.)

                    I'd love to somehow work with you on this project, if we can figure out how to do it. This is exactly the kind of resource I've always wanted to find! I know quite a few of the folk songs collected in this century by Dmitri Pokrovski, but I would love to find some that are arguably more period, not to mention songs for solo voice (it's hard to find people who sing in the Russian folk style over here!).

                    Let's talk off the list and see if there is some way we can do this together. I speak Russian, so that's a help, I think. Could you send me the bibliographical info on the book? Maybe there's a tiny possibility that I can find a copy in the US and get my hands on it through interlibrary loan.

                    -- Kseniia, wishing she was back in Moscow
                  • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 9, 2002
                      Greetings Kseniia!

                      Here's the bibliographical info of the book.

                      "Drevniye Rossiiskiye Stikhotvoreniya sobraniye Kirsheiu Danilovym"
                      under editorship of A.A.Gorelov, S.Petersburg, "Tropa Troyanova" 2000 ("Polnoye
                      Sobraniye Russkikh Bylin" series). The edition isn't academic, but they comment
                      extentively on all the points that disagree with some editions (instead of
                      giving ALL the variants), and put letters in italics in places where modern
                      rules of spelling disagree with the original variant of 18 century.

                      bye,
                      Alex.
                    • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 9, 2002
                        Greetings Yana!

                        >If you can send me the music info in a Russian font, I can transfer >it
                        >into readable text for a web browser. The RKP would be a good place
                        >to have some music info.

                        Sorry, I can't understand the idea. I can't send the music in Russian font, as
                        it's a kind of picture. There's a great lot of lyrics for every tune (3 pages
                        each song at average). Do you mean this?

                        bye,
                        Alex.