RE: [sig] Some stuff recently found

  • Anne Ferlat
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 5, 2002
      Dear Alexey

      where is the information on the site (I read Russian but I did not find it)
      ?
      Thank you.

      Anne
    • eclipsek@telusplanet.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 5, 2002
        Quoting Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik <Posadnik@...>:

        > Greetings Kataryna!
        >
        > > I'd try to learn how to read Russian for that - is it possible to you to
        > > send scans via email or something? - not sure enough about webpages to
        > > give you an answer to your question.
        >
        > No problem with that except time (I have no scanner of my own, so I have to
        > ask
        > somebody to scan something for me and then carry it on 3'' dickettes to
        > work,
        > that takes days sometimes).

        I understand - I have a scanner and still have no time to scan stuff.
        I'm sure that for reading russian all I'd have to do is download the windows
        Russian language stuff - to write it I'd need the font, and to get used to the
        keyboard.
        I'm no computer expert either, but I'm willing to try and see if something
        you send works on my computer. Why don't you try uploading a sample text
        (actually try sending a russian word document) to the files at the SIG site
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SIG/
        You have to register as a yahoo member if you haven't. (Sorry for the step by
        step - I'm used to discussing this with people who've never used the site
        attached to the mailing lists).

        BTW is there anyone else on SIG that is interested in Slavic music. I'd like
        to research it more but have other project to be done first. If someone has a
        class handout they can share that contains a good overview, I'd love to see it.

        ... one of these days (when my other projects are closer to finished) I'll
        write the little bits I've found out about the Ukrainian minstrels.
        From "Ukrainian Minstrels: And the Blind Shall Sing"by Natalie Kononenko.
        http://www.mesharpe.com/books.asp
        It isn't specifically about period but it's the only english language book I
        could find easily about Ukrainian minstrels.

        -Kataryna
      • Elizabeth Lear
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 5, 2002
          >BTW is there anyone else on SIG that is interested in Slavic music.
          >If someone has a class handout they can share that contains a good
          >overview, I'd love to see it.
          > -Kataryna

          Ask, and ye shall receive!

          http://indra.com/~eliz/SCA/presentation1.2.txt

          -Yelizaveta
        • eclipsek@telusplanet.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 5, 2002
            Thank you.
            Do you have a bibliography for the article?
            -Kataryna
          • Elizabeth Lear
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 5, 2002
              Whoops, sorry - I've just appended the bilio to the file, and included
              it below as well.

              There's another link to the handout:

              http://indra.com/~eliz/SCA/handout1.1.txt

              -Yelizaveta

              BIBLIOGRAPHY

              Bakst, James A History of Russian-Soviet Music. Dodd, Mead & Co, New
              York 1966: pp 3-16

              Leonard, Richard Anthony A History of Russian Music. The MacMillan
              Co, New York 1957: pp 11-25

              Lvov, Nikolai and Ivan Prach A Collection of Russian Folk Songs UMI
              Reasearch press, Ann Arbor, MI 1987

              Mizynec, Victor Folk Instruments of Ukraine. Bayda Books, Doncaster,
              Australia 1987.

              Reeder, Roberta, trans and ed Russian Folk Lyrics. Indiana University
              Press, Bloomington, IN 1993

              Riha, Thomas, ed Readings in Russian Civilization, Volume 1: Russia
              Before Peter the Great, 900-1700. University of Chicago Press,
              Chicago, IL 1964.

              Seaman, Gerald R. History of Russian Music, Volume 1: From Its Origins
              to Dargomyzhsky. Frederick A. Praeger, New York 1967: pp 1-54

              Swan, Alfred J. Russian Music and Its Sources in Chant and Folk-Song.
              WW Norton & Co, New York 1973: pp10-47

              Tcherepnin, Alexander Anthology of Russian Music. M.P. Belaieff, Bonn
              1972

              (end)
            • kataryna_dragonweaver
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 5, 2002
                Thanks.
                -Kataryna
              • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 5, 2002
                  Greetings Kseniia!

                  >Who put together the collection?
                  "Kirsha Danilov's songs", first edited in late 1700s, collected by order of
                  famous factory owner Demidov, from of the Demidov clan that owned about half
                  factories in the Urals in the 18th century. The collection was put together by
                  some Kirsha (Cyrill) Danilov, who was traced in the factory documents and some
                  notes by Demidov. According to the notes, the songs were written down in 1740s,
                  and decades before they were performed by Kirsha, who learned them from his
                  father, a descendant of a Skomorokh dynasty (the word Skomorokh wasn't
                  mentioned in the documents, but there were no other minstrels with dynasties in
                  Russia). The author (performer) lived in the Urals, where he (and his father?)
                  was taken from the North of Russia, to work at a factory during the reign of
                  Peter I. Mine is the first full edition of the book, so the editor can also be
                  named the one who put the collection together. The tunes are (for the first
                  time since first edition) were a joint work of Kirsha and somebody who knew how
                  to write the tunes down, and done as tunes for the violin.

                  >What kinds of songs are there?

                  Different ones. There are some Bylinas, we have already had some quarrel about
                  it at the Kaganate. The Bylinas are Kiev- and Novgorod-bound, that proves once
                  again that Kirsha first lived in Arkhangelsk region. There are some historic
                  songs (of later time), about Ivan IV's reign time and later, they are
                  Moscovia-bound and some are about the conquest of the Urals in 1500-1700s.
                  There are some "everyday" songs, and some songs that were traditionally
                  censored in earlier editions, as they are, ergm, ecstatic. It is a common
                  mistake, made by first scholars of folk lore (digging not in village
                  storytellers but books like Afanasiv), that "chastity is characteristic of the
                  Russian fairy tale", though even Afanasiev worked with dozens of texts that
                  belonged to traditional themes (like Baba Yaga) and could by no means be
                  offered to children. The same with the songs, as the wedding ceremony was too
                  closely connected with the cult of fertility and thus "censored" repertoir was
                  in use. There are at least two such songs in the book, and they indeed carry
                  the carnival-like spirit that reminds well of, say, Bocaccio or Chaucer.

                  >I'd love to see these! I've got a scanner - any chance I could get >you to
                  mail me some photocopies, and I could scan them in and post >them to the web
                  page?

                  Well, thanks really. But, you see, I live not in Moscow, Idaho, but in Moscow,
                  Russia, and posting of 200-300 pages photocopied is about same trouble as
                  sending 20-30 megabytes via email (it's easy to copy a document but costs a
                  little fortune/lots to copy a book, also some trouble with posting something
                  big to the US). The thing is that the "original" editor used by you English
                  native speakers, does not have Russian fonts and can't understand Russian
                  electronic text, so I can't send the lyrics in .txt format already. The part of
                  the song that really needs .jpg format, is 10-20 square inches of the song
                  tunes per song.

                  >I could also do transliterations/translations. (Well, you could >probably do
                  them better, but I was trying to save you some time!)

                  Thanks a lot. We could do the work as joint effort, BTW

                  bye,
                  Alex

                  P.S. And, BTW, why not have a downloadable source of Russian fonts, etc at SIG
                  homepage? Russian is too easy to read (I won't say anything about Grammar, but
                  we don't need it in songs). Paul, if you are reading this - what'd you say?
                • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 5, 2002
                    Greetings Kataryna!

                    Yes, I'm a Yahoo member, that is a way, yes. About the minstrels, some info not
                    period at all. In 1970s (80s???) about the nicest piece of poetry concerning
                    Ukrainian minstrels was written by Vitaly Korotich (more known as chief editor
                    of Ogonyok democratic magazine during Perestroyka). It was translated into
                    Russian by a brilliant Russian poet Yunna Moritz, and became a song with music
                    by Sergey Nikitin. Sometimes it was performed in Ukrainian, which was equally
                    touching. So, if you need to see how the Ukrainians could feel their minstrels'
                    way, try to find it as a poem or a song - "Poslednaya Pros'ba Starogo Lirnika"
                    (Last Wish of an Old Lyre Player), or "Maidan" ("market square"). It portrays
                    the thing, though not documentally but psychologically.

                    bye,
                    Alex.
                  • yanajenn
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 6, 2002
                      --- "Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik" <Posadnik@m...> wrote:

                      > P.S. And, BTW, why not have a downloadable source of Russian fonts,
                      etc at SIG
                      > homepage? Russian is too easy to read (I won't say anything about
                      Grammar, but
                      > we don't need it in songs). Paul, if you are reading this - what'd
                      you say?

                      T%his is actually in the works for the Russian Knowledge Page,
                      although I am a bit behind in updating and maintaining it, as many are
                      aware (more on that in the next message).

                      If you can send me the music info in a Russian font, I can transfer it
                      into readable text for a web browser. The RKP would be a good place
                      to have some music info.

                      --Yana
                    • Kseniia Smol'nyanina
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 6, 2002
                        Hi again, Alex -

                        Shoot, I completely forgot that you're in Moscow! *grumble* In that case I understand the issue with photocopies, etc. (I've done research over there myself.)

                        I'd love to somehow work with you on this project, if we can figure out how to do it. This is exactly the kind of resource I've always wanted to find! I know quite a few of the folk songs collected in this century by Dmitri Pokrovski, but I would love to find some that are arguably more period, not to mention songs for solo voice (it's hard to find people who sing in the Russian folk style over here!).

                        Let's talk off the list and see if there is some way we can do this together. I speak Russian, so that's a help, I think. Could you send me the bibliographical info on the book? Maybe there's a tiny possibility that I can find a copy in the US and get my hands on it through interlibrary loan.

                        -- Kseniia, wishing she was back in Moscow
                      • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 9, 2002
                          Greetings Kseniia!

                          Here's the bibliographical info of the book.

                          "Drevniye Rossiiskiye Stikhotvoreniya sobraniye Kirsheiu Danilovym"
                          under editorship of A.A.Gorelov, S.Petersburg, "Tropa Troyanova" 2000 ("Polnoye
                          Sobraniye Russkikh Bylin" series). The edition isn't academic, but they comment
                          extentively on all the points that disagree with some editions (instead of
                          giving ALL the variants), and put letters in italics in places where modern
                          rules of spelling disagree with the original variant of 18 century.

                          bye,
                          Alex.
                        • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 9, 2002
                            Greetings Yana!

                            >If you can send me the music info in a Russian font, I can transfer >it
                            >into readable text for a web browser. The RKP would be a good place
                            >to have some music info.

                            Sorry, I can't understand the idea. I can't send the music in Russian font, as
                            it's a kind of picture. There's a great lot of lyrics for every tune (3 pages
                            each song at average). Do you mean this?

                            bye,
                            Alex.