Re[2]: [sig] Druzhina

  • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 4, 2002
      Greetings Alexander!

      First I thought "Boyar(in)" is related "Boy" (battle, fight) and "yary" (keen,
      ferocious, active). But later I came across that in Romania & Bulgaria that
      word contained an L, "Bolyar(in)". So, now I don't know anything for sure... :-(

      Maybe it really comes from not "Boy" but "Bol'(e)" - "big, great" (and
      comparative form), meaning "the higher, the greater one". Similarly, if
      Afroamericans had a military body, they could invent a relative title, "A
      Bigger Brother". :-)

      bye,
      Alex
    • Shadow42
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 5, 2002
        Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik wrote:

        >Greetings Alexander!
        >
        >First I thought "Boyar(in)" is related "Boy" (battle, fight) and "yary" (keen,
        >ferocious, active). But later I came across that in Romania & Bulgaria that
        >word contained an L, "Bolyar(in)". So, now I don't know anything for sure... :-(
        >
        >Maybe it really comes from not "Boy" but "Bol'(e)" - "big, great" (and
        >comparative form), meaning "the higher, the greater one". Similarly, if
        >Afroamericans had a military body, they could invent a relative title, "A
        >Bigger Brother". :-)
        >
        >bye,
        >Alex

        I hear that Boyar is comes from the Turkic/Khazar language and was used
        as a term for Nobility.

        Laura/Leya
      • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 6, 2002
          Greetings Laura!
          > I hear that Boyar is comes from the Turkic/Khazar language and was used
          > as a term for Nobility.

          Maybe, though can't say for sure. When my favourite academic bookstore
          opens again or I have time to travel to another part of Moscow, I'll simply
          consult with the dictionary of Old Russian. In my Joint Dictionary of Turcic
          languages there's no such term. It doesn't correspond with Turcic "Bahadur" or
          Mongol "Oglan", as well. Suleimenov also doesn't mention it in his Az i Ya,
          speaking of the oldest Turcic borrowings into Russian.

          bye,
          Alex.