Strange request....

  • Barbara Shelanskey
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 5, 1999
      I'm wondering if any of you would be willing to translate something into Russian for me?
      Modern Russian is fine. The phase is: "Authenticity can be fun"

      It has become something of a motto for a group of us (or maybe mantra is a better word!)
      We want to write it in Cyrillic on the back of some tokens we're giving out. Just a bit of silliness....

      Thanks for any help you can give us!

      ~Tatjana
    • LiudmilaV@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 5, 1999
        In a message dated 10/5/1999 4:05:04 PM W. Europe Daylight Time,
        tatjana@... writes:

        << I'm wondering if any of you would be willing to translate something into
        Russian for me?
        Modern Russian is fine. The phase is: "Authenticity can be fun"

        This is actually tricky, I think. '"Authenticity" can be translated as
        "podlinnost' " , but it doesn't carry only one meaning this way. Word for
        word the phrase translates into something rather clumsy-sounding: "
        Podlinnost' mozhet byt' udovolstviyem". You see, "can be fun" doesn't
        translate into Russian smoothly. I suggest "Podlinnost' priyatna"
        ("Authenthicity is enjoyable"), or "Podlinnost' zabavna" ("Authenthicity is
        fun"), or...maybe you should ask Predslava. Oh, another rather silly
        version, derived from "Trying doesn't hurt" -- "Podlinnost' nye pytka"

        Let me know if you want any of that in Cyrillic, in Word format.

        Liudmila
      • MHoll@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 1999
          I was being lazy and I was waiting for someone to say something... You see,
          correcting is a lot easier than coming up with something in the first
          place.... :-)

          I like Ludmilla's "Podlinnost' ne pytka" (literally, "authenticity is not
          torture"): it sounds like a proverb, it has that rhythm.

          It's true that the word "fun" is a very English word, and I don't know of any
          equivalent in any of the languages I am familiar with. Certainly not in
          French or Russian.

          Yes, I definitely cast my vote for <podlinnost' ne pytka>.

          You can view the slighly crooked gif attached of the sentence in somewhat
          period script.

          Predslava
        • Barbara Shelanskey
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 1999
            Thanks to both of you!

            Hmmm, I'm not sure if that conveys quite the meaning I was hoping for, although it does
            sound like a very Russian thing to say!

            I do want to say that being authentic is an enjoyable thing, not just that it is not a terrible thing.
            I'll have to think this over......even as I write it's kind of growing on me.....

            Thanks again!
            ~Tatjana

            "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." --Rush

            I was being lazy and I was waiting for someone to say something... You see,
            correcting is a lot easier than coming up with something in the first
            place.... :-)

            I like Ludmilla's "Podlinnost' ne pytka" (literally, "authenticity is not
            torture"): it sounds like a proverb, it has that rhythm.

            It's true that the word "fun" is a very English word, and I don't know of any
            equivalent in any of the languages I am familiar with. Certainly not in
            French or Russian.

            Yes, I definitely cast my vote for <podlinnost' ne pytka>.

            You can view the slighly crooked gif attached of the sentence in somewhat
            period script.

            Predslava
            << File: PODLIN~1.gif >>
          • MHoll@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 6, 1999
              In a message dated 10/6/1999 9:01:39 AM Central Daylight Time,
              tatjana@... writes:

              > Hmmm, I'm not sure if that conveys quite the meaning I was hoping for,
              > although it does
              > sound like a very Russian thing to say!

              Exactly! This comes under the heading, if it can be said in a roundabout and
              riddling way, why say it straight? Actually, a negative like that (<ne
              pytka>, i.e. "not a torture") is a good way to say, "it's fun", as Ludmila
              Volkova pointed it out. <Priiatno> ("pleasant") is a soft, lukewarm word.
              Nothing wrong with it, but it just doesn't ring out like "ne pytka".

              Predslava
            • LiudmilaV@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 8, 1999
                In a message dated 10/7/1999 6:50:39 AM W. Europe Daylight Time,
                MHoll@... writes:

                << Exactly! This comes under the heading, if it can be said in a roundabout
                and
                riddling way, why say it straight? Actually, a negative like that (<ne
                pytka>, i.e. "not a torture") is a good way to say, "it's fun", as Ludmila
                Volkova pointed it out. <Priiatno> ("pleasant") is a soft, lukewarm word.
                Nothing wrong with it, but it just doesn't ring out like "ne pytka".

                Predslava

                Right! Do go with "nye pytka," now that I though about it more it seems the
                most appropriate for your purposes and sounds best in Russian.

                Liudmila Vladimirova doch', not Volkova, but that's ok and just Mila's fine
                :) -- I haven't registered it yet anyway.