Re: wooden ware

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 1999
      I'll try to dig through my stuff and find the examples of painted wooden
      ware from the book tonight. For those who must have a copy... send me your
      snailmail addresses, and I'll send out copies, it's a short chapter. for
      those who are interested in the whole book, it's:

      Kolchin, Boris Aleksandrovich. _Wooden artefacts from medieval Novgorod._
      (Oxford, B.A.R., 1989). BAR international series ; 495. ISBN: 0860546357.

      "in verbis et in herbis, et in lapidibus sunt virtutes"
      (In words, and in plants, and in stones, there is power.)

      "The Sons of Mary seldom bother, for they have inherited that good part;
      But the Sons of Martha favour their Mother
      of the careful soul and the troubled heart.
      And because she lost her temper once,
      and because she was rude to the Lord her Guest,
      Her Sons must wait upon Mary's Sons, world without end, reprieve, or rest."
      -- Rudyard Kipling, "The Sons of Martha"