Re: [sig] Russian warriors class

  • Dmitriy V. Ryaboy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2002
      Hi Liudmila,
      I'd love to come down, but at the moment I don't even know which state I
      will be living in come fall (graduated a week ago, and the job hunt is on).
      I can certainly help you with notes and such, however. Your best source for
      armour and weapons information would be the Sovetskaya Arkheologiya volumes
      by Kirpichnikov:
      Kirpichnikov A. N., "Drevnerusskoe Oruzhie," Sovetskaia arkheologiia 1-3
      (1971): E1-36

      UC Library should have this volume at NRLF, and you should be able to get it
      on loan through UCSD. Unless I still have it, but if I do I will return it
      this week (having graduated and all).
      It is bound together with a volume on bows and other missile weapons
      (metatel'noe oruzhie). I sent out a link to the plates from that book a
      while ago, check the SIG list archives.

      Also, may I humbly suggest using some of the research we put together on the
      Red Kaganate website? :) http://www.geocities.com/kaganate

      -Dmitriy

      >From: LiudmilaV@...
      >To: sig@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [sig] Russian warriors class
      >Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 15:26:29 EDT
      >
      >Hello all,
      >
      >I have a question or a request. This fall at the Collegium in Caid there
      >will
      >be a "Russian track" with two days of classes by Mistress Soraya and me. I
      >looked at the planned classes, and thought that we are very non-fighter
      >oriented (early and late period costume, embroidery workshop, trim
      >techniques, history, women's lifestyle, folklore and storytelling). I
      >would
      >like to add a class on Russian warriors. Theoretically, I could probably
      >pull this off on my own, by talking about battles and allegiances, and (oh
      >well) clothes and armor. This would be a class from a largely dilettante
      >perspective.
      >
      >Alternatively, I could try to get a local fighter interested in the idea
      >and
      >provide them with information and resources (I read Russian). I am not
      >sure
      >how easy or feasible would that be, however. Ideally, I would love to get
      >someone who knows these things come and teach this class (Dmitriy, would
      >you
      >like to, please?)
      >
      >In any case, I am asking to be pointed in the right direction -- reliable
      >sources, and so on, please?
      >
      >Thank you,
      >Liudmila
      >
      >PS: The Collegium is in Calafia, Caid -- which is San Diego, California,
      >which is where I live and where I can provide accommodations if desired.

      "Fair Gazelle of unsurpassed beauty," apparently

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2002
        In a message dated 6/4/2002 12:37:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        dvryaboy@... writes:

        > Hi Liudmila,
        > I'd love to come down, but at the moment I don't even know which state I
        > will be living in come fall (graduated a week ago, and the job hunt is on).
        >
        > I can certainly help you with notes and such, however.

        Hi Dmitriy,

        and thank you! I appreciate the reference. I am somewhat in trouble with the
        UCSD library right now (for keeping their Domostroi and some other books too
        long), but as soon as I pay them off I will get the source you suggest. I
        think the Red Kaganate website is a great resource as well, no need for you
        to be humble about it.

        Good luck job hunting!

        Liudmila