Russian warriors class

  • LiudmilaV@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2002
      Hello all,

      I have a question or a request. This fall at the Collegium in Caid there will
      be a "Russian track" with two days of classes by Mistress Soraya and me. I
      looked at the planned classes, and thought that we are very non-fighter
      oriented (early and late period costume, embroidery workshop, trim
      techniques, history, women's lifestyle, folklore and storytelling). I would
      like to add a class on Russian warriors. Theoretically, I could probably
      pull this off on my own, by talking about battles and allegiances, and (oh
      well) clothes and armor. This would be a class from a largely dilettante
      perspective.

      Alternatively, I could try to get a local fighter interested in the idea and
      provide them with information and resources (I read Russian). I am not sure
      how easy or feasible would that be, however. Ideally, I would love to get
      someone who knows these things come and teach this class (Dmitriy, would you
      like to, please?)

      In any case, I am asking to be pointed in the right direction -- reliable
      sources, and so on, please?

      Thank you,
      Liudmila

      PS: The Collegium is in Calafia, Caid -- which is San Diego, California,
      which is where I live and where I can provide accommodations if desired.

    • Dmitriy V. Ryaboy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2002
        Hi Liudmila,
        I'd love to come down, but at the moment I don't even know which state I
        will be living in come fall (graduated a week ago, and the job hunt is on).
        I can certainly help you with notes and such, however. Your best source for
        armour and weapons information would be the Sovetskaya Arkheologiya volumes
        by Kirpichnikov:
        Kirpichnikov A. N., "Drevnerusskoe Oruzhie," Sovetskaia arkheologiia 1-3
        (1971): E1-36

        UC Library should have this volume at NRLF, and you should be able to get it
        on loan through UCSD. Unless I still have it, but if I do I will return it
        this week (having graduated and all).
        It is bound together with a volume on bows and other missile weapons
        (metatel'noe oruzhie). I sent out a link to the plates from that book a
        while ago, check the SIG list archives.

        Also, may I humbly suggest using some of the research we put together on the
        Red Kaganate website? :) http://www.geocities.com/kaganate

        -Dmitriy

        >From: LiudmilaV@...
        >To: sig@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [sig] Russian warriors class
        >Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 15:26:29 EDT
        >
        >Hello all,
        >
        >I have a question or a request. This fall at the Collegium in Caid there
        >will
        >be a "Russian track" with two days of classes by Mistress Soraya and me. I
        >looked at the planned classes, and thought that we are very non-fighter
        >oriented (early and late period costume, embroidery workshop, trim
        >techniques, history, women's lifestyle, folklore and storytelling). I
        >would
        >like to add a class on Russian warriors. Theoretically, I could probably
        >pull this off on my own, by talking about battles and allegiances, and (oh
        >well) clothes and armor. This would be a class from a largely dilettante
        >perspective.
        >
        >Alternatively, I could try to get a local fighter interested in the idea
        >and
        >provide them with information and resources (I read Russian). I am not
        >sure
        >how easy or feasible would that be, however. Ideally, I would love to get
        >someone who knows these things come and teach this class (Dmitriy, would
        >you
        >like to, please?)
        >
        >In any case, I am asking to be pointed in the right direction -- reliable
        >sources, and so on, please?
        >
        >Thank you,
        >Liudmila
        >
        >PS: The Collegium is in Calafia, Caid -- which is San Diego, California,
        >which is where I live and where I can provide accommodations if desired.

        "Fair Gazelle of unsurpassed beauty," apparently

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2002
          In a message dated 6/4/2002 12:37:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          dvryaboy@... writes:

          > Hi Liudmila,
          > I'd love to come down, but at the moment I don't even know which state I
          > will be living in come fall (graduated a week ago, and the job hunt is on).
          >
          > I can certainly help you with notes and such, however.

          Hi Dmitriy,

          and thank you! I appreciate the reference. I am somewhat in trouble with the
          UCSD library right now (for keeping their Domostroi and some other books too
          long), but as soon as I pay them off I will get the source you suggest. I
          think the Red Kaganate website is a great resource as well, no need for you
          to be humble about it.

          Good luck job hunting!

          Liudmila