Pennsic SIG meeting-- possible...

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 23 , May 14, 2002
      The Pennsic A&S Coordinator is willing to consider a late request for an
      evening meeting. Does anyone have any preference as to which evening at
      Pennsic would be the best for the Slavic Interest Group gathering?

      "I never said you had to offer me a second chance/I never said I was
      a victim of circumstance/Don't get me wrong, I still belong/And you
      can speak your mind/But not on my time." - Billy Joel
    • leafcarver@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , May 14, 2002
        I'd be thrilled to attend a SIG meeting. I don't have a tentative schedule
        yet for Pennsic, I'm not that Pennsic savvy yet. But I do know I can only
        make war week. So that's my vote.

        Vasilisa Fedorova doch

      • Elizabeth Lear
        Message 3 of 23 , May 14, 2002
          Have fun! I'll miss seeing you guys, but we're skipping Pennsic and
          finally taking our 3-week-long honeymoon trip to Australia/NZ. (We'll
          only have been married two years ...)

          -Yeliz
        • kythesz
          Message 4 of 23 , May 15, 2002
            Any night except Wednesday. Both Midnight Madness and Isabella of
            York's Ladies Fire Safety Party happen that night (and my wife will
            kill me if I make her miss that cause I gotta sit with the kid).

            Kythe (once again hopefully, East Kingdom Jester of her Highness
            Isabella of York)
          • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
            Message 5 of 23 , May 16, 2002
              At 05:45 AM 5/16/2002 +0000, you wrote:
              >The Pennsic A&S Coordinator is willing to consider a late request for an
              > evening meeting. Does anyone have any preference as to which evening at
              > Pennsic would be the best for the Slavic Interest Group gathering?

              The only night that doesn't a Court is Monday of War Week. No matter when
              you put it, people aren't going to be able to attend. Pick a day and time
              and go with it.

              Smiles,
              Despina de la organizing three other group meetings.....
            • Jenn/Yana
              Message 6 of 23 , May 16, 2002
                Paul and I have found that every night of War Week has its
                drawbacks. However, I do recommend _not_ scheduling it on Wednesday,
                because of Midnight Madness (torch-lit shopping spree, for those who
                haven't been). The main problem seems to be lack of people until the wee
                hours, mostly because people have headed home earlier than usual and are
                waiting for it to get dark enough for the torch-lit effect. This means
                that people don't get out until 8:00pm or so, and go shopping until 11pm or
                later, _then_ attend parties and whatnot. Just too much to
                anticipate. Monday has no courts, so it seems to work well, except for
                people who arrive later in the week. However, Monday also tends to be
                popular for general partying, because of the lack of courts. Sigh, there
                is no winning in this case, so schedule it whenever (I vote Monday).

                By the way, I will be attending this year, but Paul will not. I am still
                not sure when I will be arriving or who I am camping with (any offers?),
                but I'll let people know. Sorry I couldn't organize the meeting, but I am
                glad to help whoever got roped into it!

                --Yana, who may be dragging her modern sister along to War, mostly for
                company on the 14 hour car trip to Pennsic.
              • Jenne Heise
                Message 7 of 23 , May 19, 2002
                  I emailed Dame Caitriona requesting space Monday night of War Week for the Pennsic gathering.
                  I'll let y'all know as soon as I know what's going on.

                  "Some people ain't no damn good/You can't trust 'em, you can't love 'em
                  No good deed goes unpunished/I don't mind being their whippin' boy
                  I've had that pleasure for years and years..." John Mellencamp
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 21, 2002
                    Honored SIG Brothers and Sisters,
                    Does anyone have any ideas about forming a slavic
                    encampment next year? We could start off small and
                    work our way up. Now that I'm single again, I could
                    volunteer to set it up and stay the two weeks of
                    Pennsic, including any physical set up. I could even
                    arrange storage offsite, gratis.

                    As far as set up goes, do we have any possible camp
                    design ideas or other participants, if indeed we do
                    this? I have the time, the resources and the interest
                    to play an active role in this, if needed.
                    'dak

                    --- "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" <aheilvei@...>
                    wrote:
                    > At 05:45 AM 5/16/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                    > >The Pennsic A&S Coordinator is willing to consider
                    > a late request for an
                    > > evening meeting. Does anyone have any preference
                    > as to which evening at
                    > > Pennsic would be the best for the Slavic Interest
                    > Group gathering?
                    >
                    > The only night that doesn't a Court is Monday of War
                    > Week. No matter when
                    > you put it, people aren't going to be able to
                    > attend. Pick a day and time
                    > and go with it.
                    >
                    > Smiles,
                    > Despina de la organizing three other group
                    > meetings.....

                    LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                    http://launch.yahoo.com
                  • Yana
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 22, 2002
                      Oooo, this has been sitting in my "needs replying" mailbox for awhile. I'd
                      be interested in a Slavic encampment. Starting small would be good (and
                      more likely to work). Anyone have brainstorming ideas from this
                      Pennsic? I'm planning on bringing two people to next year's Pennsic. Never
                      too early to start planning! A "wooden" campsite (Novgorod-style) would be
                      my vote. A gate would be the simpler solution, however. I even have
                      drawings (re-created) of SCA-period wooden gateways for private Novgorodian
                      homes that would work well for an encampment entryway.

                      --Yana

                      At 08:17 PM 5/21/2002, you wrote:
                      >Honored SIG Brothers and Sisters,
                      >Does anyone have any ideas about forming a slavic
                      >encampment next year? We could start off small and
                      >work our way up. Now that I'm single again, I could
                      >volunteer to set it up and stay the two weeks of
                      >Pennsic, including any physical set up. I could even
                      >arrange storage offsite, gratis.
                      >
                      >As far as set up goes, do we have any possible camp
                      >design ideas or other participants, if indeed we do
                      >this? I have the time, the resources and the interest
                      >to play an active role in this, if needed.
                      >'dak
                    • Sonny Cline
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 22, 2002
                        I was wandering through yahoo groups and noticed some interesting Slavic SCA
                        type groups. Perhaps someone with more time might perform the same search
                        and determine if these groups might be of interest to others here. To find
                        them go to 'groups' then search on the keyword 'warfare' ... without ' ..'
                        on either side of the word. You should get 213 groups available; search
                        using scroll and next . Above all have patience,. I saw about 12 groups that
                        might mesh with the interests expressed in this list.
                        Sincerely,
                        Sonny Cline
                        Southern Indiana
                        chatlzt@...
                        Subscribe: Line_Lights-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Line Lodge 743 A&FM Jasper
                        IN
                        Subscribe: HadiShrine-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Hadi Shrine & Hospital
                        Subscribe: Crimea_Cities-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Ukraine Regional
                        http://www.brideclub.by.ru
                        Subscribe: EkaterinburgLadies-subscribe@yahoogroups.com E-Kat & Urals
                        http://www.alexanderkorjev.com/
                      • yanajenn
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 23, 2002
                          Well, some of them seem to be more "dating services" than SCA
                          research oriented. While shopping around for a bride may have been a
                          period practice, I don't think that some of these websites are going
                          to help SIG members with medieval research. By the way, why are
                          the "bride service" sites showing up under "warfare?" Hmmm....

                          --Yana

                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 23, 2002
                            They changed the paid parking area into camping this
                            year. It's close to everything, fighting, merchanting,
                            parking. Maybe we should consider land there. BTW,
                            Yana, you were missed this year.
                            'dak
                            --- Yana <yana@...> wrote:
                            > Oooo, this has been sitting in my "needs replying"
                            > mailbox for awhile. I'd
                            > be interested in a Slavic encampment. Starting
                            > small would be good (and
                            > more likely to work). Anyone have brainstorming
                            > ideas from this
                            > Pennsic? I'm planning on bringing two people to
                            > next year's Pennsic. Never
                            > too early to start planning! A "wooden" campsite
                            > (Novgorod-style) would be
                            > my vote. A gate would be the simpler solution,
                            > however. I even have
                            > drawings (re-created) of SCA-period wooden gateways
                            > for private Novgorodian
                            > homes that would work well for an encampment
                            > entryway.
                            >
                            > --Yana
                            >

                            > At 08:17 PM 5/21/2002, you wrote:
                            > >Honored SIG Brothers and Sisters,
                            > >Does anyone have any ideas about forming a slavic
                            > >encampment next year? We could start off small and
                            > >work our way up. Now that I'm single again, I could
                            > >volunteer to set it up and stay the two weeks of
                            > >Pennsic, including any physical set up. I could
                            > even
                            > >arrange storage offsite, gratis.
                            > >
                            > >As far as set up goes, do we have any possible camp
                            > >design ideas or other participants, if indeed we do
                            > >this? I have the time, the resources and the
                            > interest
                            > >to play an active role in this, if needed.
                            > >'dak

                            http://finance.yahoo.com
                          • dvryaboy
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 23, 2002
                              Well, last year I slept through most of the nightlife, but made it to
                              the SIG meeting. Naturally, this year, I did the exact opposite.
                              So what happened at the meeting? I even brought stuff I wanted to
                              show, but alas...

                              -Dmitriy Shelomin
                            • Jeanne
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 23, 2002
                                Sounds divine! Here is the link from this year's pennsic. Check out some
                                of the encampments! WOW!

                                http://www.jordanclan.net/pics/PennsicXXXI.html

                                I have a 9-ish foot Yurt. Yes, yurt, not a Ger. My hubby and I would LOVE
                                to attend. And as we're novices, this being our first one.....I've heard
                                stories of showers, a friend will give me a plan for an oven (this year he
                                made quiche at 2 AM!), and other amenities.

                                We can only stay for about a week.

                                Soffya & Pythagoras
                              • doug
                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 23, 2002
                                  Be careful how you name said camp. I was in N21 near the end of the
                                  seringheti (sp) and saw a sign in front of a camp that said "Slavic Camp".
                                  Being dutifully nosy, I knocked and entered, asking if the people were SIG
                                  related... They told me it was a family name and they had nothing to do with
                                  us.... If you do have the encampment, at least we'll have a place to send
                                  the leftover food to. I'd be willing to help set up, but am committed to
                                  another camp. Sergius B.
                                • Diane Sawyer
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 24, 2002
                                    --- Tim Nalley <mordakus@...> wrote:
                                    > They changed the paid parking area into camping this
                                    > year. It's close to everything, fighting,
                                    > merchanting,
                                    > parking. Maybe we should consider land there. BTW,
                                    > Yana, you were missed this year.
                                    > 'dak

                                    It's not so very close to the A&S tents and Herald's
                                    Point, but it's not *too* bad (I guess walking all the
                                    way to Herald's Point is penance for my sins). Now
                                    that my household has seniority on their block, we're
                                    planning on staying there for a while. We had so much
                                    water pressure we were blowing out hose couplings. We
                                    were a little cramped on space, but the cartographer
                                    said that the blocks will be properly surveyed next
                                    year and there might be a little more room for us.
                                    Even so, it wasn't all that bad. I really like being
                                    away from the noise and smoke of the Serengheti. :-)

                                    Tasha

                                    http://finance.yahoo.com
                                  • Diane Sawyer
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 24, 2002
                                      --- Jeanne <jeanne@...> wrote:
                                      > Sounds divine! Here is the link from this year's
                                      > pennsic. Check out some
                                      > of the encampments! WOW!
                                      >
                                      > http://www.jordanclan.net/pics/PennsicXXXI.html
                                      >
                                      > I have a 9-ish foot Yurt. Yes, yurt, not a Ger. My
                                      > hubby and I would LOVE
                                      > to attend.
                                      {snip}

                                      > Soffya & Pythagoras

                                      A 9-foot yurt? How do you not kill each other? Where
                                      do you put your stuff? Mine is 14' and that's the
                                      absolute minimum size I would consider with another
                                      person!

                                      Tasha

                                      http://finance.yahoo.com
                                    • leafcarver@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Aug 24, 2002
                                        In a message dated 8/24/2002 3:18:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                        tasha_medvedeva@... writes:

                                        > A 9-foot yurt? How do you not kill each other? Where
                                        > do you put your stuff? Mine is 14' and that's the
                                        > absolute minimum size I would consider with another
                                        > person!

                                        I'm very interested in yurts, but my lord is a dyed in the wool saxon and
                                        grumbles that yurts take up too much space in transport to feasably do with
                                        just our Ford Ranger to make the Pennsic trip in. Do they take up more room
                                        than say your average panther pavillion?

                                        I've been very curious about period pavillions for Eastern European personas,
                                        but I'm not sure where to look for that sort of thing.

                                        Vasha

                                      • Diane Sawyer
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Aug 26, 2002
                                          --- leafcarver@... wrote:

                                          > I'm very interested in yurts, but my lord is a dyed
                                          > in the wool saxon and
                                          > grumbles that yurts take up too much space in
                                          > transport to feasably do with
                                          > just our Ford Ranger to make the Pennsic trip in. Do
                                          > they take up more room
                                          > than say your average panther pavillion?

                                          Tell your husband that the collapsed khana for a 14'
                                          yurt fits perfectly between the wheel wells of a Ford
                                          Ranger, because that's what we have. Then we put the
                                          wooden door on top of that, and tubs and stuff go on
                                          top of that. The top ends of the rafters rest on a
                                          ladder rack so they extend over the top of the truck
                                          on two bundles (the notched ends rest in the bed) and
                                          the roof ring goes between them. Wolfie can see
                                          through the roof ring in the rear-view mirror to drive
                                          and to check on the load.

                                          The canvas weighs about 80-100 pounds and goes in a
                                          large-ish Rubbermaid tub. All the rest is "stuff" --
                                          garb, camping gear (lights and such), bedding, the bed
                                          itself, rugs, archery equipment, my clothing rack
                                          (which gets bundled with the rafters), and other small
                                          and squishable goodies. All this in a 2001 Ford
                                          Ranger without a cap.

                                          I would say that they don't, because you can put the
                                          flattened khana on the bottom (and we use an extra
                                          piece of canvas as a sling to help us get it on and
                                          off the truck without snagging any of the knots on the
                                          tailgate) and put the rafters on a ladder rack, which
                                          is exactly what you'd have to do with the poles from a
                                          Panther. Then there's the canvas, which goes in a
                                          tub, exactly like you'd do with canvas for a Panther.

                                          > I've been very curious about period pavillions for
                                          > Eastern European personas,
                                          > but I'm not sure where to look for that sort of
                                          > thing.
                                          >
                                          > Vasha

                                          <http://www.currentmiddleages.org/tents/index.html>

                                          These two might be good places to start.

                                          Tasha

                                          http://finance.yahoo.com
                                        • Jeanne
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Aug 30, 2002
                                            We just sleep in it! We have a larger tent for stuff!

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Aug 30, 2002
                                              Otel, who make my yurt, had this zebra striped small import thingy type car.
                                              He carried it quite comfortably for set-up at demos.

                                              I sell tents & pavilions and I just sold TWO 18x24x11 foot pavilions,
                                              including ALL hardware and it took our VAN just to get them out of customs!
                                              I have a 92 Eclipse and I can JUST fit them in. One person ordered the
                                              flooring which was ANOTHER canvas bag the size of a large sofa cushion by
                                              the height of your average coffee table.

                                              Soffya
                                              www.aeonline.biz/pavilions.htm

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Aug 31, 2002
                                                > I sell tents & pavilions and I just sold TWO 18x24x11 foot pavilions,
                                                > including ALL hardware and it took our VAN just to get them out of customs!
                                                > I have a 92 Eclipse and I can JUST fit them in. One person ordered the

                                                Really? I've got a '91 Eclipse, and can't fit our 15x18x8 pavilion plus
                                                floor... especially not the poles. You must know some nifty space-folding
                                                technique...

                                                Parsla
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Aug 31, 2002
                                                  I just donated my 16x22 ft panther pavillion to a
                                                  shire in S. Ohio so I could get a tax write off and
                                                  purchase a more Slavic style tent suitable for one or
                                                  two people that one person could easily put up. Got
                                                  any suggestions?
                                                  'dak

                                                  http://finance.yahoo.com