Re: [sig] Greetings + help please?

  • Jeff Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , May 13, 2002
      --- Wulfgirl <wulfgirl@...> wrote:

      My boyfriend and I are both in the SCA.  My
      persona is 16th century <BR>
      Venetian.  He would like to do a persona from
      Dubrovnick (called <BR>
      Ragusa in period) but we have found very little info
      available on <BR>
      this region in period.  <BR>
      <BR>
      Could anyone on this list provide some direction on
      Croatian <BR>
      (specifically Ragusan) personas c. 1000-1600AD?
      I think he could use <BR>
      some likely first names and surnames, anything on
      costuming, and any <BR>
      other information on Dubrovnick/Ragusa/Croatia in
      Medieval and <BR>
      Renaissance times.<BR>
      <BR>
      I know from reading some sites on the Internet that
      Marco Polo may <BR>
      have come from a Ragusan family living in Venice and
      that there was a <BR>
      relatively large Ragusan popupation in Venice in the
      15th and 16th <BR>
      centuries.  Other than that, I know very little
      on this subject and <BR>
      would be grateful for any other info, books to read,
      or web links.<BR>

      Well, you've chosen a beautiful area. Dubrovnik is
      exceptionally nice. I've been near there (west of
      Mostar) but never made it quite that far. I saw an
      excellent slide show by a friend from 20 years ago who
      was there before the recent war, and some of my
      friends went there while I was stuck in Sarajevo.

      Here are a few sites about it:
      http://www.cam.ac.uk/societies/cro/dubrovnik.htm
      http://www.cupola.com/html/bldgstru/medieval/mediev05.htm
      http://www.planetware.com/photos/PHHR.HTM
      http://www.ceu.hu/medstud/events/ev004/prlender.htm
      http://www.architectureweek.com/2001/0718/building_1-1.html
      http://www.drewsullivan.com/photopage/photo_db.htm

      and of course
      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1336/croatia/

      I hope you will also "visit" in your persona the town
      of Blagaj, IMHO one of the most beautiful places in
      the world, and not too far from Split and Dubrovnik.
      http://www.pbase.com/image/516553/large
      http://www.stradanove.net/mostar/turism/taAda040899e07.htm

      Barcsi Janos

      =====
      JEFFREY C. SMITH
      Parsberg (Oberpfalz), Germany

      "When anger rises, think of the consequences." - Confucius

      LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
      http://launch.yahoo.com
    • Wulfgirl
      Message 2 of 4 , May 19, 2002
        Thanks, so much.
        I'll look into these sites ASAP.

        -Juliana Rossi
      • vespirus@socrates.berkeley.edu
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 15, 2002
          On Sat, 11 May 2002, Wulfgirl wrote:

          > My boyfriend and I are both in the SCA. My persona is 16th century
          > Venetian. He would like to do a persona from Dubrovnick (called
          > Ragusa in period) but we have found very little info available on
          > this region in period.

          I have about a dozen books on Ragusan history, including a couple of
          studies on Ragusan names from the middle ages. I'll try to post that
          information soon, but I'm only now getting caught up with my old e-mails
          (this reply is almost two months late!) My goal is to do a thorough
          study, and possibly a Compleat Anachronist on Ragusa because I've found so
          much useful info. I've even found some 13th century Ragusan legal
          documents in transcription that include several hundred different women's
          names.

          --Walraven van Nijmegen