Re[2]: [sig] sarafan hassles, pt. II

  • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
    Message 1 of 12 , May 12, 2002
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Parsla Liepa <pliepa@...>
      To: <sig@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 10:21:58 -0400 (EDT)
      Subject: Re: [sig] sarafan hassles, pt. II

      Greetings all!

      About the length of rubakhas.

      Once I got the book by Russian Folk Art Museum on embroidery, I came across the
      fact that those (censored) scientists preserved only those parts of the shirts
      that bore embroidery. Once the catalogue photo shows a detail of a shoulder
      piece, cut out with a poair of scissors, as the image lets see. Same damn stuff
      with some rubakhas, that are shown cut about/a little above waist. That may be
      the reason, I'm 75% sure.

      About Sarafans.

      Though some folk costume scholars refer to the Scandinavian two-piece
      "sarafan", sarafan is usually referred to 14 century, and to northern half of
      European Russia mostly (Ukraine & Southern Russia wore shirt & skirt
      (Plakhta)). BTW, "traditional sarafan" really looks more like the corresponding
      Korean dress, than the, say, Norman one.

      bye,
      Alex.