Re: [sig] Digest Number 879

  • Megan / Darja z Prahy
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9 3:13 PM
      Isabelle,
      I believe that "Bohemia" comes from the name of the tribe that Romans found
      while taking over Europe. Before that it could have their name, or maybe the
      Romans made it up as a description.
      As for it's modern usage, I have heard that the protestants that fled the
      Czech lands after the Hussites were defeated had a reputation for being more
      tolerant religiously. I can see why. Gradually "bohemian" became the more
      versatile word that it is today.

      I will look it up....

      Your source for anecdotal evidence :-),
      Darja z Prahy