Re: [sig] word "bohemian"--??

  • Patricia Hefner
    Message 1 of 9 , May 8, 2002
      --- Patricia Hefner <verte76@...> wrote:
      > Does anyone know where we get the modern word
      > "bohemian"? I've been getting pelted with questions
      > about this and I don't know.
      >
      > Isabelle

      > Yahoo! Shopping - Mother's Day is May 12th!
      > http://shopping.yahoo.com

      =====
      Support your friendly local autistics....I'm one of them

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • Patricia Hefner
      Message 2 of 9 , May 8, 2002
        I was just deleting some old e-mail and ran across
        some links from Jadwiga about the Bohemian Bath House
        pictures from the Wenceslaus Bible. I must admit that
        I'd never heard of these pictures as I've never seen a
        copy of the Wenceslaus Bible (I ran into a whole slew
        of links on Google from people who were looking for
        facsmililes). Does anyone know anything about these,
        uh, bathing facilities? Thanks in advance for any
        clues.

        Isabelle

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
      • Jeff Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , May 8, 2002
          --- Patricia Hefner <verte76@...> wrote:

          I was just deleting some old e-mail and ran across<BR>
          some links from Jadwiga about the Bohemian Bath
          House<BR>
          pictures from the Wenceslaus Bible. I must admit
          that<BR>
          I'd never heard of these pictures as I've never seen
          a<BR>
          copy of the Wenceslaus Bible (I ran into a whole
          slew<BR>
          of links on Google from people who were looking
          for<BR>
          facsmililes). Does anyone know anything about
          these,<BR>
          uh, bathing facilities? Thanks in advance for any<BR>
          clues.<BR>
          <BR>
          Isabelle<BR>

          I don't know about the bathhouses in the Wenc. Bible
          or Bohemia, but they are pretty common in Europe, a
          relic of the Roman and Turkish eras. Most are very
          ornate and quite nice. Budapest has, I think, 4
          historical ones...no idea if there are modern examples
          there...which date back to the Turks. There are a lot
          in Germany (look for the name Bad ..., which usually
          signifies a bathing resort). They are seen as healthy
          places where one can get refreshed, clean, and cured
          of illness.

          BTW, the "uh" before the word "bathing facilities" in
          unnecessary...many of them are family places and I
          have not heard any reports of "unsavory" activities at
          any of them.

          Janos

          =====
          JEFFREY C. SMITH
          Parsberg (Oberpfalz), Germany

          "When anger rises, think of the consequences." - Confucius

          http://shopping.yahoo.com
        • Patricia Hefner
          Message 4 of 9 , May 8, 2002
            --- Jeff Smith <janos@...> wrote:

            > I don't know about the bathhouses in the Wenc. Bible
            > or Bohemia, but they are pretty common in Europe, a
            > relic of the Roman and Turkish eras. Most are very
            > ornate and quite nice. Budapest has, I think, 4
            > historical ones...no idea if there are modern
            > examples
            > there...which date back to the Turks. There are a
            > lot
            > in Germany (look for the name Bad ..., which usually
            > signifies a bathing resort). They are seen as
            > healthy
            > places where one can get refreshed, clean, and cured
            > of illness.
            >
            > BTW, the "uh" before the word "bathing facilities"
            > in
            > unnecessary...many of them are family places and I
            > have not heard any reports of "unsavory" activities
            > at
            > any of them.
            >
            > Janos
            >
            > =====

            OK, thanks, shows you what I don't know about these
            places. There wasn't any descriptive text to speak of
            and I need to hit the books about the Turkish
            influences in Europe. After all my shire is having a
            Middle Eastern event next month, with me as a "Slavic
            gate-crasher" :-) and our seneschal's persona is
            Turkish. Ooh la la.....

            Isabelle

            http://shopping.yahoo.com
          • Jeff Smith
            Message 5 of 9 , May 8, 2002
              I'll try and send some links on some I know about.
              Janos

              --- Patricia Hefner <verte76@...> wrote:
              OK, thanks, shows you what I don't know about
              these<BR>
              places. There wasn't any descriptive text to speak
              of<BR>
              and I need to hit the books about the Turkish<BR>
              influences in Europe. After all my shire is having
              a<BR>
              Middle Eastern event next month, with me as a
              "Slavic<BR>
              gate-crasher" :-) and our seneschal's persona
              is<BR>
              Turkish. Ooh la la.....<BR>

              =====
              JEFFREY C. SMITH
              Parsberg (Oberpfalz), Germany

              "When anger rises, think of the consequences." - Confucius

              http://shopping.yahoo.com
            • Alastair Millar
              Message 6 of 9 , May 9, 2002
                M'lady Isabelle asked...

                >Does anyone know where we get the modern word
                >"bohemian"?

                Yep. :-)
                Bohemia comes from the Latin name of an apparently Celtic tribe, the Boii,
                who occupied the area before being kicked out/absorbed by the Marcomanni.
                (Those familiar with the Celtic habit of tribes splitting up and settling in
                far-flung places (e.g. the Parisi of the Seine basin and the north of
                England) will not be at all surprised to find that another branch of the
                Boii settled in the Po Valley in Italy...)

                The word "bohemian" in the sense of someone living an "alternative"
                lifestyle comes from the French "bohémien" meaning a gypsy, predicated on
                the belief that such wanderers originated in Bohemia.

                Cheers!

                A.

                Alastair Millar
                Alastair Millar BSc (Hons)
                Translation & Consultancy for the Heritage Industry
                P.O. Box 685, CZ 111 21 Praha 1, Czech Republic
              • MHoll@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , May 9, 2002
                  In a message dated 5/9/2002 12:34:42 AM Central Daylight Time,
                  janos@... writes:

                  > Budapest has, I think, 4
                  > historical ones...no idea if there are modern examples
                  > there...which date back to the Turks.

                  They were also period in Russian (for all of our period), and by all
                  accounts, they were very similar to "house" bathhouses (as opposed to big
                  municipal ones).

                  > There are a lotin Germany (look for the name Bad ..., which usually
                  > signifies a bathing resort). They are seen as healthy
                  > places where one can get refreshed, clean, and cured
                  > of illness.

                  They're spas, with mineral springs etc. The water usually tastes particularly
                  foul.

                  > BTW, the "uh" before the word "bathing facilities" in
                  > unnecessary...many of them are family places and I
                  > have not heard any reports of "unsavory" activities at
                  > any of them.

                  In fact, some Russian illuminations show women bathing together with men. To
                  underscore that it is a perfectly proper thing to do (mixed-gender bathing),
                  the illuminators represented women as virtuous virgins -- with loose, long
                  hair.

                  Bathhouses always played an important part in Russian folkore. It was a
                  magical place, sometimes particularly dangerous, and sometimes safe. They
                  were birthing-houses, and places to perform magic, in addition to places for
                  getting clean. However, *this is very much OOP information.*

                  Predslava

                • Patricia Hefner
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 9, 2002
                    --- Alastair Millar <alastair@...> wrote:
                    > M'lady Isabelle asked...
                    >
                    > >Does anyone know where we get the modern word
                    > >"bohemian"?
                    >
                    > Yep. :-)
                    > Bohemia comes from the Latin name of an apparently
                    > Celtic tribe, the Boii,
                    > who occupied the area before being kicked
                    > out/absorbed by the Marcomanni.
                    > (Those familiar with the Celtic habit of tribes
                    > splitting up and settling in
                    > far-flung places (e.g. the Parisi of the Seine basin
                    > and the north of
                    > England) will not be at all surprised to find that
                    > another branch of the
                    > Boii settled in the Po Valley in Italy...)

                    Holy smokes! I'm mundanely of partially Celtic (Irish)
                    extraction, so, this means I could have distant
                    relatives in Slovenia for all we know. :-)

                    > The word "bohemian" in the sense of someone living
                    > an "alternative"
                    > lifestyle comes from the French "boh�mien" meaning a
                    > gypsy, predicated on
                    > the belief that such wanderers originated in
                    > Bohemia.

                    That's what I thought, but I couldn't remember my
                    source. I wonder why they thought the Gypsies were
                    from Bohemia?

                    Isabelle

                    http://shopping.yahoo.com