word "bohemian"--??

  • Patricia Hefner
    Message 1 of 9 , May 8, 2002
      Does anyone know where we get the modern word
      "bohemian"? I've been getting pelted with questions
      about this and I don't know.

      Isabelle

      Message 2 of 9 , May 8, 2002
        --- Patricia Hefner <verte76@...> wrote:
        > Does anyone know where we get the modern word
        > "bohemian"? I've been getting pelted with questions
        > about this and I don't know.
        >
        > Isabelle

        > Yahoo! Shopping - Mother's Day is May 12th!
        > http://shopping.yahoo.com

        =====
        Support your friendly local autistics....I'm one of them

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
      • Patricia Hefner
        Message 3 of 9 , May 8, 2002
          I was just deleting some old e-mail and ran across
          some links from Jadwiga about the Bohemian Bath House
          pictures from the Wenceslaus Bible. I must admit that
          I'd never heard of these pictures as I've never seen a
          copy of the Wenceslaus Bible (I ran into a whole slew
          of links on Google from people who were looking for
          facsmililes). Does anyone know anything about these,
          uh, bathing facilities? Thanks in advance for any
          clues.

          Isabelle

          http://shopping.yahoo.com
        • Jeff Smith
          Message 4 of 9 , May 8, 2002
            --- Patricia Hefner <verte76@...> wrote:

            I was just deleting some old e-mail and ran across<BR>
            some links from Jadwiga about the Bohemian Bath
            House<BR>
            pictures from the Wenceslaus Bible. I must admit
            that<BR>
            I'd never heard of these pictures as I've never seen
            a<BR>
            copy of the Wenceslaus Bible (I ran into a whole
            slew<BR>
            of links on Google from people who were looking
            for<BR>
            facsmililes). Does anyone know anything about
            these,<BR>
            uh, bathing facilities? Thanks in advance for any<BR>
            clues.<BR>
            <BR>
            Isabelle<BR>

            I don't know about the bathhouses in the Wenc. Bible
            or Bohemia, but they are pretty common in Europe, a
            relic of the Roman and Turkish eras. Most are very
            ornate and quite nice. Budapest has, I think, 4
            historical ones...no idea if there are modern examples
            there...which date back to the Turks. There are a lot
            in Germany (look for the name Bad ..., which usually
            signifies a bathing resort). They are seen as healthy
            places where one can get refreshed, clean, and cured
            of illness.

            BTW, the "uh" before the word "bathing facilities" in
            unnecessary...many of them are family places and I
            have not heard any reports of "unsavory" activities at
            any of them.

            Janos

            =====
            JEFFREY C. SMITH
            Parsberg (Oberpfalz), Germany

            "When anger rises, think of the consequences." - Confucius

            http://shopping.yahoo.com
          • Patricia Hefner
            Message 5 of 9 , May 8, 2002
              --- Jeff Smith <janos@...> wrote:

              > I don't know about the bathhouses in the Wenc. Bible
              > or Bohemia, but they are pretty common in Europe, a
              > relic of the Roman and Turkish eras. Most are very
              > ornate and quite nice. Budapest has, I think, 4
              > historical ones...no idea if there are modern
              > examples
              > there...which date back to the Turks. There are a
              > lot
              > in Germany (look for the name Bad ..., which usually
              > signifies a bathing resort). They are seen as
              > healthy
              > places where one can get refreshed, clean, and cured
              > of illness.
              >
              > BTW, the "uh" before the word "bathing facilities"
              > in
              > unnecessary...many of them are family places and I
              > have not heard any reports of "unsavory" activities
              > at
              > any of them.
              >
              > Janos
              >
              > =====

              OK, thanks, shows you what I don't know about these
              places. There wasn't any descriptive text to speak of
              and I need to hit the books about the Turkish
              influences in Europe. After all my shire is having a
              Middle Eastern event next month, with me as a "Slavic
              gate-crasher" :-) and our seneschal's persona is
              Turkish. Ooh la la.....

              Isabelle

              http://shopping.yahoo.com
            • Jeff Smith
              Message 6 of 9 , May 8, 2002
                I'll try and send some links on some I know about.
                Janos

                --- Patricia Hefner <verte76@...> wrote:
                OK, thanks, shows you what I don't know about
                these<BR>
                places. There wasn't any descriptive text to speak
                of<BR>
                and I need to hit the books about the Turkish<BR>
                influences in Europe. After all my shire is having
                a<BR>
                Middle Eastern event next month, with me as a
                "Slavic<BR>
                gate-crasher" :-) and our seneschal's persona
                is<BR>
                Turkish. Ooh la la.....<BR>

                =====
                JEFFREY C. SMITH
                Parsberg (Oberpfalz), Germany

                "When anger rises, think of the consequences." - Confucius

                http://shopping.yahoo.com
              • Alastair Millar
                Message 7 of 9 , May 9, 2002
                  M'lady Isabelle asked...

                  >Does anyone know where we get the modern word
                  >"bohemian"?

                  Yep. :-)
                  Bohemia comes from the Latin name of an apparently Celtic tribe, the Boii,
                  who occupied the area before being kicked out/absorbed by the Marcomanni.
                  (Those familiar with the Celtic habit of tribes splitting up and settling in
                  far-flung places (e.g. the Parisi of the Seine basin and the north of
                  England) will not be at all surprised to find that another branch of the
                  Boii settled in the Po Valley in Italy...)

                  The word "bohemian" in the sense of someone living an "alternative"
                  lifestyle comes from the French "bohémien" meaning a gypsy, predicated on
                  the belief that such wanderers originated in Bohemia.

                  Cheers!

                  A.

                  Alastair Millar
                  Alastair Millar BSc (Hons)
                  Translation & Consultancy for the Heritage Industry
                  P.O. Box 685, CZ 111 21 Praha 1, Czech Republic
                    In a message dated 5/9/2002 12:34:42 AM Central Daylight Time,
                    janos@... writes:

                    > Budapest has, I think, 4
                    > historical ones...no idea if there are modern examples
                    > there...which date back to the Turks.

                    They were also period in Russian (for all of our period), and by all
                    accounts, they were very similar to "house" bathhouses (as opposed to big
                    municipal ones).

                    > There are a lotin Germany (look for the name Bad ..., which usually
                    > signifies a bathing resort). They are seen as healthy
                    > places where one can get refreshed, clean, and cured
                    > of illness.

                    They're spas, with mineral springs etc. The water usually tastes particularly
                    foul.

                    > BTW, the "uh" before the word "bathing facilities" in
                    > unnecessary...many of them are family places and I
                    > have not heard any reports of "unsavory" activities at
                    > any of them.

                    In fact, some Russian illuminations show women bathing together with men. To
                    underscore that it is a perfectly proper thing to do (mixed-gender bathing),
                    the illuminators represented women as virtuous virgins -- with loose, long
                    hair.

                    Bathhouses always played an important part in Russian folkore. It was a
                    magical place, sometimes particularly dangerous, and sometimes safe. They
                    were birthing-houses, and places to perform magic, in addition to places for
                    getting clean. However, *this is very much OOP information.*

                    Predslava

                  • Patricia Hefner
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 9, 2002
                      --- Alastair Millar <alastair@...> wrote:
                      > M'lady Isabelle asked...
                      >
                      > >Does anyone know where we get the modern word
                      > >"bohemian"?
                      >
                      > Yep. :-)
                      > Bohemia comes from the Latin name of an apparently
                      > Celtic tribe, the Boii,
                      > who occupied the area before being kicked
                      > out/absorbed by the Marcomanni.
                      > (Those familiar with the Celtic habit of tribes
                      > splitting up and settling in
                      > far-flung places (e.g. the Parisi of the Seine basin
                      > and the north of
                      > England) will not be at all surprised to find that
                      > another branch of the
                      > Boii settled in the Po Valley in Italy...)

                      Holy smokes! I'm mundanely of partially Celtic (Irish)
                      extraction, so, this means I could have distant
                      relatives in Slovenia for all we know. :-)

                      > The word "bohemian" in the sense of someone living
                      > an "alternative"
                      > lifestyle comes from the French "boh�mien" meaning a
                      > gypsy, predicated on
                      > the belief that such wanderers originated in
                      > Bohemia.

                      That's what I thought, but I couldn't remember my
                      source. I wonder why they thought the Gypsies were
                      from Bohemia?

                      Isabelle

                      http://shopping.yahoo.com