Re[2]: [sig] Any Info on Slavic Masks?

  • Alexey Kiyaikin
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2002
      Greetings!
      > I have a picture of a period, leather, Russian
      > Minstrels Mask. I have a book on Russian Minstrels.
      > Let me know if you want particulars.
      Do you mean the Skomorokh mask? Then it was valid at least until 1480,
      when, after the 100-Chapter Counsil, they started making Christmas
      decorations out of the Skomorokhs, hanging them whenever possible.
      Though, try to find anything browsing about the word "Ofenya"
      (Ophenya???). They were professional traders, first of all book
      traders, with their special language (for the customer NOT to
      understand), rituals and all - not a city
      corporation, but something in between a bunch of fellow conspirators,
      family school of hidden knowledge and remnants of Skomorokh system in
      later times (references to Ofenyas and their language until early XX
      century!!!)
      Bye,
      Alex.