Re: [sig] Re: Czech/Moravian/Slovak names--??

  • Patricia Hefner
    Message 1 of 9 , May 5, 2002
      --- Alastair Millar <alastair@...> wrote:

      > Names are not a problem in any way - there are lots
      > around, including some
      > rather odd ones used by mintmasters in Prague in the
      > 11th century. The only
      > problem I can see would be documenting them in a
      > manner acceptable to the
      > SCA. I'm still trying to do something to the
      > Premyslid "king list" so that
      > you can put it on the Czech Knowledge Pages -
      > should be with you shortly.
      > Czech gets by on a fairly small number of given
      > names, even today - just
      > last year a woman in west Bohemia was forbidden ro
      > register a native
      > American name for her newborn child (!!!).

      There's the rub--documentation. I've noticed that even
      modern Slavic nationalites don't really use that many
      names--mostly either saints' names or traditional
      Slavic names. That's weird about the woman who got in
      trouble over her baby's name. Anyway there are people
      around here like Vespirus who outclass me big time in
      the name department.

      > The real fun begins with saints known by two
      > different names in Czech: St
      > Ursula is Sv Vorsila in Prague (Konvent sv.
      > Vorisly), but Sv Ursula in the
      > more Germanified west (Kostel sv. Ursuly in
      > Cheb/Eger).

      Oh, my goodness, that is fun. :-) I like the name
      Ursula; I'll bet trying to document the darn thing in
      Czech would be like talking to a brick wall.

      > >It's also not clear to me when family names came
      > in.
      > *grin*

      A linguistic nightmare??? :-) Or something I'm pretty
      familiar with--a historical nightmare? I know "Hus"
      really isn't a family name--it's an abbreviation of
      his home town in southern Bohemia. I have never seen
      any sort of family name used for his side-kick,
      Jerome--we usually call him "Jerome of Prague".

      > >It's too bad none of our HTML scripts will support
      > diacriticals, etc, etc.
      >
      > HTML scripts will support diacriticals, IF you are
      > looking at them with the
      > correct code page set in your PC and/or browser
      > (e.g. Windows Central
      > European character set, the Latin II set etc.). It's
      > a display problem, not
      > an HTML problem. A useful cheat is to do titles
      > (including their hooks and
      > accents) as graphics, which are then parsed as
      > pictures and can be read by
      > anyone.
      >

      > Cheers
      >
      > Alastair

      Phooey, we're using the wrong browsers. :-) Oh, well.

      Isabelle

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • Daniel Badura
      Message 2 of 9 , May 7, 2002
        Greetings to all of you,

        beeing a long-time lurker to SIG I'm awfully sorry to post for the first time when a
        thread gets rather technical and off-topic. I apologize to all who might not be
        interested (possibly most list members).

        But as the coding of diacritics might be interesting to some of you I
        decided to post this to the list anyway.

        Alastair Millar wrote ...
        > HTML scripts will support diacriticals, IF you are looking at
        > them with the correct code page set in your PC and/or
        > browser (e.g. Windows Central European character set,
        > the Latin II set etc.).

        Let me add this is only true for some versions of some browsers.
        To ensure "cross-browser compatibility" of the diacritics you have to
        use decimal unicodes. After spending some long nights on the browsers' feature to
        render unicodes, here is what I found for MSIE, NC and OPERA:

        1) Note: only tested on Windows-systems. I'm not sure for Mac and Linux. BTW,
        specify a basefont containing czech characters (Arial, Courier, Times New Roman).

        2) you may want to add the following line to the HEAD-sections of
        your page for Central European character sets (in one line). This will not have any
        effect on your English text:
        <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859- 2">

        3) the carkas (accents) will render anyway, just enter them as usual

        4) for the haceks (carons) and the krouzek (ring) use the following
        unicodes. Just insert them where you'd normally type the characters.
        The pattern for unicode is: &#number;
        Note: the semicolon is an essential part of the unicode!
        The number in brakets is for those who see the czech character instead of the
        unicode (because they use a web interface for receiving mail).

        a) capital C with hacek: Č (268)
        c with hacek: č (269)

        b) capital D with hacek: Ď (270)
        d with hacek: ď (271)

        c) e with hacek: ě (283)
        (there's no capital)

        d) capital N with hacek: Ň (327)
        n with hacek: ň (328)

        e) capital R with hacek: Ř (344)
        r with hacek: ř (345)

        f) capital S with hacek: Š (352)
        s with hacek: š (353)

        g) capital T with hacek: Ť (356)
        t with hacek: ť (357)

        h) u krouzkovane (with ring): ů (367)
        (again no capital)

        i) capital Z with hacek: Ž (381)
        z with hacek: ž (382)

        For more information on unicodes visit www.unicode.org (if my memory serves me
        well).

        HTH, Daniel
        (switching to lurking-mode again)

        PS: I've written a macro for Word 97 making it easy to insert the
        proper unicodes when preparing czech text for insertion to html-
        editors and a module for Access 97 which enables you to enter czech
        diacritics easily without messing around with your standart keyboard
        layout.

        If need should be I'd upload them to the list's file section.