Re: [sig] Any Info on Slavic Masks?

  • Patricia Hefner
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2002
      Whoah, you're right. I should have mentioned that the
      masks looked period but that the stuff in the text
      looked quite modern. Oh, well, she *was* looking for
      masks. In some cultures, games did indeed have
      religious significance. The original Olympiads in
      Greece did.

      Isabelle

      --- MHoll@... wrote:
      > Daylight Time,
      > verte76@... writes:
      >

      > > Here's a link to a page about Slavic Paganism and
      > it
      > > has a picture of some masks on it!
      > >
      > > http://www.irminsul.org/arc/010sz.html
      > >

      > As usual, I post my warning about Slavic Paganism.
      > Just the first lines of
      > the text on that page are enough. There is no
      > evidence that any of these
      > pagan Slavic deities were worshipped in that manner
      > at that time. There are
      > no songs that survived from period. No descriptions
      > of rituals, except some
      > very vague references to "devilish dances" or
      > "devilish behavior". Have fun
      > with the stuff, but don't consider any of it period.
      >
      > The masks, however, are indeed period. But from what
      > I recall reading
      > somewhere, they may have been ball-playing
      > equipment. Maybe in ritual games,
      > and maybe just as protection -- like a catcher's or
      > a football mask.
      >
      > Predslava.

      > removed]

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • Alexey Kiyaikin
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5, 2002
        Greetings!
        > I have a picture of a period, leather, Russian
        > Minstrels Mask. I have a book on Russian Minstrels.
        > Let me know if you want particulars.
        Do you mean the Skomorokh mask? Then it was valid at least until 1480,
        when, after the 100-Chapter Counsil, they started making Christmas
        decorations out of the Skomorokhs, hanging them whenever possible.
        Though, try to find anything browsing about the word "Ofenya"
        (Ophenya???). They were professional traders, first of all book
        traders, with their special language (for the customer NOT to
        understand), rituals and all - not a city
        corporation, but something in between a bunch of fellow conspirators,
        family school of hidden knowledge and remnants of Skomorokh system in
        later times (references to Ofenyas and their language until early XX
        century!!!)
        Bye,
        Alex.