Re: Commercial emails

  • vespirus@xxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx.xxxx
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 1999
      On Sun, 3 Oct 1999, Robert J Welenc wrote:

      > Has anyone else on this list had a drastic increase in spam lately?

      Yes, but I haven't been getting it all through my usual address. I've
      also been getting SPAM through the St. Ketherine list (local college
      group). Of course, my e-mail address is plastered all over the web, so I
      expect to get a lot of SPAM.

      --Walraven
    • Jenn/Yana
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 1999
        Onelist does NOT give out or sell their address lists. However, as with
        most discussion lists (majordomo, listserv, etc) any member of a List can
        find out the emails of all the other members. I doubt this is what
        happened, as it seems that _not_ everyone on the List is getting more spam
        than usual. Talk to your email provider for what measures you can take to
        prevent and discourage spam.

        --Yana, list administrator
      • Chris and Trish Makowski
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 1999
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 1999
            At 04:46 PM 10/3/99 -0400, you wrote:
            >From: Robert J Welenc <rjwelenc@...>
            >
            >Has anyone else on this list had a drastic increase in spam lately?
            >All of a sudden I'm getting 3 or 4 junk messages every time I check
            >my mail. I don't visit newsgroups like the Rialto, but I'm wondering
            >if moving SIG to Onelist has anything to do with it?

            Doesn't look that way, my spam count is down since I started. I suspect
            that Onelist wouldn't make our names available without informing SIG, that
            is a good way to lose clients.

            >Does anybody know if someone could collect our addresses from Onelist
            >-- or if perhaps they sell them?

            Somebody might be collecting them from the group. Maybe with some sort
            of harvester. Our addresses are available in the headers. All they would
            have to do is subscribe.

            Hauk Klaengsson
            Cyan Blade
            Mark

            --
            Cyan Blade,
            Of course its an alias, you think my parents were hippies?
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 9, 1999
              Yes, I too have noticed a rather dramatic increase, they all center around
              Life insurance, Spy software and Investments....I'm really getting sick of
              them.

              Robert J Welenc wrote:

              > From: Robert J Welenc <rjwelenc@...>
              >
              > Has anyone else on this list had a drastic increase in spam lately?
              > All of a sudden I'm getting 3 or 4 junk messages every time I check
              > my mail. I don't visit newsgroups like the Rialto, but I'm wondering
              > if moving SIG to Onelist has anything to do with it?
              >
              > Does anybody know if someone could collect our addresses from Onelist
              > -- or if perhaps they sell them?
              >
              > Alanna
              > ***********
              > Proverb of the day:
              > The real act of discovery is not in finding new lands, but in seeing
              > with new eyes. - Marcel Proust
              >
              > > Slavic Interest Group homepage:
              > http://www.uwplatt.edu/~goldschp/slavic.html

              Mark Shubelka