Commercial emails

  • Robert J Welenc
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 1999
      Has anyone else on this list had a drastic increase in spam lately?
      All of a sudden I'm getting 3 or 4 junk messages every time I check
      my mail. I don't visit newsgroups like the Rialto, but I'm wondering
      if moving SIG to Onelist has anything to do with it?

      Does anybody know if someone could collect our addresses from Onelist
      -- or if perhaps they sell them?

      Alanna
      ***********
      Proverb of the day:
      The real act of discovery is not in finding new lands, but in seeing
      with new eyes. - Marcel Proust
    • Patricia Hefner
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 1999
        > Has anyone else on this list had a drastic increase in spam lately?
        > All of a sudden I'm getting 3 or 4 junk messages every time I check
        > my mail. I don't visit newsgroups like the Rialto, but I'm wondering
        > if moving SIG to Onelist has anything to do with it?
        >
        > Does anybody know if someone could collect our addresses from Onelist
        > -- or if perhaps they sell them?
        >

        > Alanna
        > ***********

        I personally haven't had any problems with spam since I left AOL!! :-) I
        don't specifically know why I'm not getting spam. All I know is that I was
        having a terrible time with it on AOL until their e-system shut down, at
        which time I quit. I haven't had any spam problems here. Maybe this network
        has better spam screens. I don't know. I know I don't miss spam!

        Dekuji!
        Isabelle

        patricia.hefner@...
      • vespirus@xxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx.xxxx
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 1999
          On Sun, 3 Oct 1999, Robert J Welenc wrote:

          > Has anyone else on this list had a drastic increase in spam lately?

          Yes, but I haven't been getting it all through my usual address. I've
          also been getting SPAM through the St. Ketherine list (local college
          group). Of course, my e-mail address is plastered all over the web, so I
          expect to get a lot of SPAM.

          --Walraven
        • Jenn/Yana
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 3, 1999
            Onelist does NOT give out or sell their address lists. However, as with
            most discussion lists (majordomo, listserv, etc) any member of a List can
            find out the emails of all the other members. I doubt this is what
            happened, as it seems that _not_ everyone on the List is getting more spam
            than usual. Talk to your email provider for what measures you can take to
            prevent and discourage spam.

            --Yana, list administrator
          • Chris and Trish Makowski
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 3, 1999
              >Has anyone else on this list had a drastic increase in spam lately?
              >All of a sudden I'm getting 3 or 4 junk messages every time I check
              >my mail. I don't visit newsgroups like the Rialto, but I'm wondering
              >if moving SIG to Onelist has anything to do with it?

              I doubt it's onelist. There's been a bunch of spam actually hitting SCA
              lists lately. I'm thinking that someone has managed to find the list addies
              off the websites that have them, and are taking advantage.

              Anya
            • Cyan Blade
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 4, 1999
                At 04:46 PM 10/3/99 -0400, you wrote:
                >From: Robert J Welenc <rjwelenc@...>
                >
                >Has anyone else on this list had a drastic increase in spam lately?
                >All of a sudden I'm getting 3 or 4 junk messages every time I check
                >my mail. I don't visit newsgroups like the Rialto, but I'm wondering
                >if moving SIG to Onelist has anything to do with it?

                Doesn't look that way, my spam count is down since I started. I suspect
                that Onelist wouldn't make our names available without informing SIG, that
                is a good way to lose clients.

                >Does anybody know if someone could collect our addresses from Onelist
                >-- or if perhaps they sell them?

                Somebody might be collecting them from the group. Maybe with some sort
                of harvester. Our addresses are available in the headers. All they would
                have to do is subscribe.

                Hauk Klaengsson
                Cyan Blade
                Mark

                --
                Cyan Blade,
                Of course its an alias, you think my parents were hippies?
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 9, 1999
                  Yes, I too have noticed a rather dramatic increase, they all center around
                  Life insurance, Spy software and Investments....I'm really getting sick of
                  them.

                  Robert J Welenc wrote:

                  > From: Robert J Welenc <rjwelenc@...>
                  >
                  > Has anyone else on this list had a drastic increase in spam lately?
                  > All of a sudden I'm getting 3 or 4 junk messages every time I check
                  > my mail. I don't visit newsgroups like the Rialto, but I'm wondering
                  > if moving SIG to Onelist has anything to do with it?
                  >
                  > Does anybody know if someone could collect our addresses from Onelist
                  > -- or if perhaps they sell them?
                  >
                  > Alanna
                  > ***********
                  > Proverb of the day:
                  > The real act of discovery is not in finding new lands, but in seeing
                  > with new eyes. - Marcel Proust
                  >
                  > > Slavic Interest Group homepage:
                  > http://www.uwplatt.edu/~goldschp/slavic.html

                  Mark Shubelka