Re: [sig] garb for mourning

  • Alexey Kiyaikin
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2002
      Greetings Mstislav!

      > Were there any particular practices for dressing when one was
      > mourning the death of a family member?  (In
      > this case, my wonderful Lady Larissa...)   I'm a Boyar living in
      > 1375 A.D. in the great city-state of Novgorod.  I travel and
      > trade a great deal, am very interested in the history and dress
      > habits of my Slav predecessors (especially the Scythians), and
      > don't mind stealing ideas and practices of other peoples (despite
      > the "never change anything" tendencies of my people!).
      Black wasn't considered to be mourning colour, as whote wasn't holiday
      one BEFORE your person's lifetime. Can't find exact time of the
      change, maybe later. Actually, much of mourning took place near the
      burial site, as it (international way) helped the dead off into the
      world of the dead. AFAIR, your way should be rather white shirt with
      red embroidery (garment for holy days like great religious events),
      though can't say how much that was already mingled since 1200s (the
      habit of running both Christian & pre-Christian traditions existed
      until Mongols came). So, SOME of the tradition survived, some didn't,
      but the consistency of pre-Christian tradition was broken by the
      One-Hundred-Chapter Council of the Russian Church only, that took place,
      if I am not mistaken, in 1480 or so. So, much of what is considered a
      traditional (apart-from-Christian) reverence to the dead & ancestors,
      will do. AFAIR, there was not much changes of dress to show mourning,
      rather you didn't wear what was considered schick & holiday garb. Main
      bias was towards paying homage to your dead on due days, like Easter
      day (established rather before Christianity), etc, in the form of
      ritual feast by the burial site, leaving some food & drink as
      sacrifice to them. I still remember my family paying homage to my
      great-grandmother who used to babysit me when I was three.

      bye,
      Alex.