garb for mourning

  • R.E. Mills
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2002
      Greetings to the members of the list:

      I'm a lurker who enjoys reading and watching the discussions here
      and the many fine pictures and links
      provided. Given the extensive experience and knowledge amongst
      the members, I have a garb-related question
      for a very specific thing:

      Were there any particular practices for dressing when one was
      mourning the death of a family member? (In
      this case, my wonderful Lady Larissa...) I'm a Boyar living in
      1375 A.D. in the great city-state of Novgorod. I travel and
      trade a great deal, am very interested in the history and dress
      habits of my Slav predecessors (especially the Scythians), and
      don't mind stealing ideas and practices of other peoples (despite
      the "never change anything" tendencies of my people!).

      If anyone has some ideas to offer, I'd appreciate it.

      In memory of my Lady Larissa, who loved our shared "dream" of the
      Current Middle Ages,

      Lord Mstislav Novgorodskii
    • MHoll@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2002
        In a message dated 4/5/2002 5:32:49 PM Central Standard Time, rem@...
        writes:

        > Were there any particular practices for dressing when one was
        > mourning the death of a family member?

        I haven't come across anything in period texts, and in traditional costume
        (folk costume -- 19th/20th centuries), there was nothing particular, either.
        No special color, or anything. Not like the detailed descriptions about
        wedding dress in the Domostroi.

        Predslava.

      • Alexey Kiyaikin
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2002
          Greetings Mstislav!

          > Were there any particular practices for dressing when one was
          > mourning the death of a family member?  (In
          > this case, my wonderful Lady Larissa...)   I'm a Boyar living in
          > 1375 A.D. in the great city-state of Novgorod.  I travel and
          > trade a great deal, am very interested in the history and dress
          > habits of my Slav predecessors (especially the Scythians), and
          > don't mind stealing ideas and practices of other peoples (despite
          > the "never change anything" tendencies of my people!).
          Black wasn't considered to be mourning colour, as whote wasn't holiday
          one BEFORE your person's lifetime. Can't find exact time of the
          change, maybe later. Actually, much of mourning took place near the
          burial site, as it (international way) helped the dead off into the
          world of the dead. AFAIR, your way should be rather white shirt with
          red embroidery (garment for holy days like great religious events),
          though can't say how much that was already mingled since 1200s (the
          habit of running both Christian & pre-Christian traditions existed
          until Mongols came). So, SOME of the tradition survived, some didn't,
          but the consistency of pre-Christian tradition was broken by the
          One-Hundred-Chapter Council of the Russian Church only, that took place,
          if I am not mistaken, in 1480 or so. So, much of what is considered a
          traditional (apart-from-Christian) reverence to the dead & ancestors,
          will do. AFAIR, there was not much changes of dress to show mourning,
          rather you didn't wear what was considered schick & holiday garb. Main
          bias was towards paying homage to your dead on due days, like Easter
          day (established rather before Christianity), etc, in the form of
          ritual feast by the burial site, leaving some food & drink as
          sacrifice to them. I still remember my family paying homage to my
          great-grandmother who used to babysit me when I was three.

          bye,
          Alex.