Re[3]: [sig] Ukrainian Ladies Photos

  • Alexey Kiyaikin
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5 1:13 AM
      Greetings Yana!

      > Yes, you are right about the (Winter Ball costumes) lack of historical
      > historical accuracy.  We've discussed that subject at length here on the
      > List (how it is based on the 18th and 19th centuries' idea of what the
      > clothing would have looked like).  However, it is an easy way to get
      > _inspiration_ for making late SCA-period clothing, especially in the
      > absence of much primary source information.

      Why not try historic films or (better) tales shot in Russia in mid XX
      century. The facr is though they are only 50 years older, they already
      have the reference material from the State Historic Museum (which has
      a more than grand collection of folk dress & dress studies. Also,
      there remained the never-broken tradition of country life, that the
      directors & artists still saw. The tradition was heavily injured by
      Khrushchev's headless orders in 1960s, so later films are of less
      interest. I advise to look for the classical screen version of Gogol's
      "Night before Christmas", I do believe they issued it on video in the
      US, as the whole collection of Alexander Rou's cinema tales (one of
      them (Ilya Muromets) was discussed in the Florilegium's Uncatalogued, and I have brief
      evidence of reactions to other films. The Ukrainian Costume, of
      course, wasn't changed in the last 6 centuries as much, as Russian
      one, so the "cinema cut" will be more precise. Though, if we need info
      from no earlier than 1400s, Rou's films will do. I do not advise to
      take "Alexander Nevsky", as it was intended to be a propaganda more
      than a work of art (remember, in was shot during the war), and the
      historic truth sometimes fell victim to the need to unite the nation.

      bye,
      Alex.