Re[2]: [sig] Ukrainian Ladies Photos

  • Jenn/Yana
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2002
      Yes, you are right about the (Winter Ball costumes) lack of historical
      historical accuracy. We've discussed that subject at length here on the
      List (how it is based on the 18th and 19th centuries' idea of what the
      clothing would have looked like). However, it is an easy way to get
      _inspiration_ for making late SCA-period clothing, especially in the
      absence of much primary source information.

      --Yana

      >Please, bear in mind that, if I am not mistaken, you mean the Royal
      >Ball in Petersburg (I visited the site not so much ago, but can't
      >check it, my inet card is close to exhausting), which was set as an
      >"Old Russian-style". If yes, it is no evidence of nothing. It belongs
      >to the time felt as an archaeologist's nughtmare. At the time they
      >substituted historic knowledge with artistic imagination.
    • Alexey Kiyaikin
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5, 2002
        Greetings Yana!

        > Yes, you are right about the (Winter Ball costumes) lack of historical
        > historical accuracy.  We've discussed that subject at length here on the
        > List (how it is based on the 18th and 19th centuries' idea of what the
        > clothing would have looked like).  However, it is an easy way to get
        > _inspiration_ for making late SCA-period clothing, especially in the
        > absence of much primary source information.

        Why not try historic films or (better) tales shot in Russia in mid XX
        century. The facr is though they are only 50 years older, they already
        have the reference material from the State Historic Museum (which has
        a more than grand collection of folk dress & dress studies. Also,
        there remained the never-broken tradition of country life, that the
        directors & artists still saw. The tradition was heavily injured by
        Khrushchev's headless orders in 1960s, so later films are of less
        interest. I advise to look for the classical screen version of Gogol's
        "Night before Christmas", I do believe they issued it on video in the
        US, as the whole collection of Alexander Rou's cinema tales (one of
        them (Ilya Muromets) was discussed in the Florilegium's Uncatalogued, and I have brief
        evidence of reactions to other films. The Ukrainian Costume, of
        course, wasn't changed in the last 6 centuries as much, as Russian
        one, so the "cinema cut" will be more precise. Though, if we need info
        from no earlier than 1400s, Rou's films will do. I do not advise to
        take "Alexander Nevsky", as it was intended to be a propaganda more
        than a work of art (remember, in was shot during the war), and the
        historic truth sometimes fell victim to the need to unite the nation.

        bye,
        Alex.