Re[2]: [sig] Ukrainian Ladies Photos

  • Alexey Kiyaikin
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2002
      Greetings!

      "The Ghost saw & heard everything..." :-)

      Please, bear in mind that, if I am not mistaken, you mean the Royal
      Ball in Petersburg (I visited the site not so much ago, but can't
      check it, my inet card is close to exhausting), which was set as an
      "Old Russian-style". If yes, it is no evidence of nothing. It belongs
      to the time felt as an archaeologist's nughtmare. At the time they
      substituted historic knowledge with artistic imagination. It worked
      only because the artists involved were among the best in Russia and
      sometimes even world - Vasnetsov, Repin, Vroubel, etc. The British faced a like with those
      Pre-Raffaelites, the attitude is the same. So, mainly it's a fantasy
      based on MUCH evidence of folk culture of the 1800s - and ALMOST NO
      knowledge what was really beyond 1400s. My favourite piece of
      nightmare is Vasnetsov's "Boi Slavian So Skifami" (A Battle between
      Slavs & Scythians). Even geniuses may be mistaken sometimes.

      So, if that was what I meant - don't believe it more than your
      neighbor who saw something alike on TV yesterday. If not - sorry.

      bye,
      Alex.
    • Jenn/Yana
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2002
        Yes, you are right about the (Winter Ball costumes) lack of historical
        historical accuracy. We've discussed that subject at length here on the
        List (how it is based on the 18th and 19th centuries' idea of what the
        clothing would have looked like). However, it is an easy way to get
        _inspiration_ for making late SCA-period clothing, especially in the
        absence of much primary source information.

        --Yana

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 5, 2002
          Greetings Yana!

          > Yes, you are right about the (Winter Ball costumes) lack of historical
          > historical accuracy.  We've discussed that subject at length here on the
          > List (how it is based on the 18th and 19th centuries' idea of what the
          > clothing would have looked like).  However, it is an easy way to get
          > _inspiration_ for making late SCA-period clothing, especially in the
          > absence of much primary source information.

          Why not try historic films or (better) tales shot in Russia in mid XX
          century. The facr is though they are only 50 years older, they already
          have the reference material from the State Historic Museum (which has
          a more than grand collection of folk dress & dress studies. Also,
          there remained the never-broken tradition of country life, that the
          directors & artists still saw. The tradition was heavily injured by
          Khrushchev's headless orders in 1960s, so later films are of less
          interest. I advise to look for the classical screen version of Gogol's
          "Night before Christmas", I do believe they issued it on video in the
          US, as the whole collection of Alexander Rou's cinema tales (one of
          them (Ilya Muromets) was discussed in the Florilegium's Uncatalogued, and I have brief
          evidence of reactions to other films. The Ukrainian Costume, of
          course, wasn't changed in the last 6 centuries as much, as Russian
          one, so the "cinema cut" will be more precise. Though, if we need info
          from no earlier than 1400s, Rou's films will do. I do not advise to
          take "Alexander Nevsky", as it was intended to be a propaganda more
          than a work of art (remember, in was shot during the war), and the
          historic truth sometimes fell victim to the need to unite the nation.

          bye,
          Alex.