Czech links

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3 2:15 AM
      M'lady Isabelle wrote...

      >Does anyone want to put the Czech knowledge page back
      >on the SIG site? I have a "skeleton" page, and I'm
      >presently looking for suitable links.

      Some relevant links for you (which DO need checking I'm afraid...):

      *** Period texts (translated into English)

      "Codified anarchy": The Golden Bull of Charles IV:
      http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/goldenbull.html

      The 1422 levy of troops for wars in Bohemia:
      http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/imptrooplevy1422.html

      *** History:

      Brief overview of the History of the Czechs from the Czech
      Ministry of Foreign Affairs... http://www.czech.cz/czech/history.html

      Radio Prague's lighthearted but not always reliable rundown on Czech
      history:
      www.radio.cz/history

      Surprisingly good timeline provided by a well-established travel agency:
      http://www.travel.cz/travel/history1.asp

      A brief history of Bohemia in the 12th-13th century:
      http://www-lib.usc.edu/~aflesch/bohemia.html

      Various sources for Czech history (good, but some dead links):
      http://src-h.slav.hokudai.ac.jp/eng/cee/czech-e.html

      *** Costume & Dress

      Charles IV in Paris - a set of 16 (!!) utterly gorgeous illuminations from
      the Grandes chroniques de France, put up by the Bibliothéque nationale de
      France - click here. The accompanying biography of Charles IV is at
      http://www.bnf.fr/enluminures/texte/atx2_04.htm

      There's a nice picture of a medieval peasant on the front page of
      http://www.uappmost.cz
      (the pages of the Archaeological Monuments Protection Office of NW Bohemia)

      A rather pretty example of Czech folk costume can be seen at
      www.fos.cz/fosen.htm

      A supplier of bits and pieces for Czech 'kroj' or folk costume:
      www.stap.cz/index.htm

      *** Culture & lifestyle

      See & hear the famous Bohemian bagpipes (adopted from the Celts) at
      http://www.mcn.org/2/oseeler/bagpipes/pipe0001.html

      See how the upper classes lived... English history summaries and pictures
      of various castles & chateaux - including gorgeous interiors!!
      http://www.pamatky-jc.cz/aj/objekty/index.html (Pages of the Monuments
      Office for South Bohemia)

      Rabenstein in Bohemia: http://www.unc.edu/~murphy/rabenstein/bohemia.html

      *** Naming practices

      Walraven van Nijmegen's "Common Czech names of the 15th & 16th centuries":
      http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/walraven/lateczech/

      A Bibliography of Czech Names - the lowdown on some useful reference books
      is at http://www.s-gabriel.org/docs/czech.html

      *** Modern Czech language

      Essential Czech Phrases: http://www.muselik.com/czech/czau.html

      Various translation dictionaries:
      http://www.xweb.cz/dictionary/default.asp
      http://www.fce.vutbr.cz/public/invrt/slovnik.html
      http://www.mtranslations.cz/CE/dict.htm
      http://www.intersoft.cz/bin/translator

      Discussion list for Czech/English translators:
      www.yahoogroups.com/group/CzechEd (Moderated by me!)

      *** Some maps

      A nice (and accurate!) general map of the Czech Rep. (Bohemia & Moravia)
      http://www.rec.org/REC/Maps/cze_map.html

      A map of the North Bohemian region - and you can see where I live (Roudnice
      nad Labem) at the bottom, too! http://www.rra.cz/WWW_RRA_ENG/nb/14c.htm

      *** Great Moravia:

      Excavator's summary of the manor at Pohansko near Břeclav [Br'eclav] - good
      illustrations but ignores the pagan sanctuary!!
      http://www.phil.muni.cz/archeo/pohansko_uk.html

      *** Self promotion

      My own SIG related pages have a Great Moravian timeline (more or less the
      only page on the web in English about Great Moravia... sad but true. :-/),
      a potted biography of Boleslav I the Cruel, a "king list" of the Premyslid
      dynasty, gumbo on SS Cyril & Methodius etc... but since Geocities seem
      intent on eating the site, I'd be grateful if you could wait for my brand
      _new_ site to come online before linking to them! (I decided to bring
      (almost) all my various work and hobby sites under one roof, and have
      registered one of the new *.info domains...)

      Cheers!

      Alastair
      Still smug about registering a .info for $10 a year, no strings...

      ---------------------------
      Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons)
    • Patricia Hefner
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3 8:08 PM
        Yikes, GeoCities is eating your site??!! I'll wait!
        Trust me, looking for these links is *not* easy
        especially if you're like me and don't know a blasted
        word of Czech! :-)

        Isabelle

        --- Alastair Millar <alastair@...> wrote:
        > M'lady Isabelle wrote...
        >
        > >Does anyone want to put the Czech knowledge page
        > back
        > >on the SIG site? I have a "skeleton" page, and I'm
        > >presently looking for suitable links.
        >
        > Some relevant links for you (which DO need checking
        > I'm afraid...):

        <snip>

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • Patricia Hefner
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3 8:47 PM
          Finding really good Czech (and Moravian) sites is
          tough; can I steal Slovakia?? :-) JOKE! JOKE!

          Isabelle

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/