Re: [sig] vyborg

  • Alexey Kiyaikin
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 8, 2002
      Greetings!

      Couldn't wait the image to download to the end (precious online
      time...) Was it the Vyborg festival of the summer of '01?

      Bye,
      Posadnik.
    • Dmitriy V Ryaboy
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 9, 2002
        Yes, these are the pictures taken at the Vyborg 2001 festival by Histoire
        Medievale, a french reenactor magazine

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 10, 2002
          Greetings!

          It's the coolest joke of the today's re-enactment in Russia.

          Firstly, they MAY be period. Secondly, they are simply MORE AVAILABLE.
          The cheapest & most period-like (thick & rough) mattress cover linen
          has stripes, stripes and nothing but stripes. Stripeless linen costs
          thrice as much. So a year ago the question of "pyjama-hosed Vikings"
          was raised almost seriously. Now they declare some variety of colors
          to be needed, so wait for another Viborg to see. :-)

          Bye,
          Posadnik.
        • Diane Sawyer
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 11, 2002
            --- Alexey Kiyaikin <Posadnik@...> wrote:
            > Greetings!
            >
            > It's the coolest joke of the today's re-enactment in
            > Russia.
            >
            > Firstly, they MAY be period. Secondly, they are
            > simply MORE AVAILABLE.
            > The cheapest & most period-like (thick & rough)
            > mattress cover linen
            > has stripes, stripes and nothing but stripes.
            > Stripeless linen costs
            > thrice as much. So a year ago the question of
            > "pyjama-hosed Vikings"
            > was raised almost seriously. Now they declare some
            > variety of colors
            > to be needed, so wait for another Viborg to see. :-)
            >
            > Bye,
            > Posadnik.

            So if I understand you correctly, they wear those
            pants because that's the only fabric they can get.

            Sigh. I have a Viking to clothe, and I still haven't
            gotten a really satisfactory answer on the pants.
            It's not your fault... I think I need to do more
            research and maybe see if the Viking Answer Lady can
            point me in the right direction.

            Thanks!

            Tasha

            http://mail.yahoo.com/
          • Alexey Kiyaikin
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 11, 2002
              Greetings!
              > Sigh.  I have a Viking to clothe, and I still haven't
              > gotten a really satisfactory answer on the pants.
              > It's not your fault... I think I need to do more
              > research and maybe see if the Viking Answer Lady can
              > point me in the right direction.

              It was also not fully serious. The reason is there's really lots of
              cheap striped fabric, and there's NO general objections to its color
              in period, except that it couldn't have been so abundant, as you may think
              looking at regiments of striped-legged re-enactors. You see,
              re-enactment in Russia is too much intertwined with swordplay, which
              is tried to register as official sport, sportsmen, federatyion clerks
              & all that. The main mass of sportsmen was formed of the Viking Age
              re-enactors. And have you seen any warrior (army-like) who preferred
              simple decisions to culturally correct ones? :-)
              Also:
              Declaring his research being based on the excavation
              results & chats with archaeologists, one of the most well-known (along
              with Dzys & Gorelik)Russian artists-re-creators, Dmitri Fyodorov,
              re-created the image of a Russian (Kievan) Christian man-at-arms,
              wearing striped trousers. At least, a borrowed-from-Russia pair of
              pants could have existed then. Maybe I'm not competent to say more
              about the color, so if you read Russian you may follow the links to
              the site of Naslediye Predkov club from tgorod.go.ru, I had a nice
              argument with them last summer, concerning just ways of identifying
              organic matter (cloth & leather) found during excavations. They must have
              at least an article on this.

              Bye,
              Posadnik.
            • Francesca
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 12, 2002
                --- Alexey Kiyaikin <Posadnik@...> wrote:
                > Greetings!
                > Sigh.� I have a Viking to clothe,

                Try the following web site, and put in Viking for the search

                http://www.costumes.org/

                Hope this helps,
                Wassail
                Francesca

                http://mail.yahoo.com/
              • Diane Sawyer
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 12, 2002
                  --- Francesca <ladybythesea@...> wrote:
                  > --- Alexey Kiyaikin <Posadnik@...> wrote:
                  > > Greetings!
                  > > Sigh.� I have a Viking to clothe,

                  No, actually, Tasha wrote that.

                  > Try the following web site, and put in Viking for
                  > the search
                  >
                  > http://www.costumes.org/
                  >
                  > Hope this helps,
                  > Wassail
                  > Francesca

                  Not really. None of the links that came up actually
                  answer my question. I'm not terribly enamored with
                  that site. I think it tries to do too much.

                  Thanks anyway.

                  Tasha

                  http://mail.yahoo.com/
                • Alexey Kiyaikin
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 12, 2002
                    Greetings!

                    > Not really. None of the links that came up actually
                    > answer my question.

                    Well, if the trouble is in stripes, I've already posted the answer.
                    If it means clothing in general, try I. Marc Carlson's page. BTW, he's a
                    SCAdian as well. (at least, one of the Carlsons, named Marc, was once an
                    author at rec.org.sca. - see the Florilegium) :-)
                    www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/ - there are patterns for
                    shirts, hose & all that stuff, mainly with references where they are
                    taken from (I mean what burial or bog they were taken out doing some
                    excavations)
                    also, a little bit of info can be at
                    www.huscarl.com/costume/index.htm, or

                    http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/topics/clot.htm (isn't the clothing internet