Re: what is a 'funt'

  • Robert J Welenc
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 2 5:47 PM
      At 06:13 PM 10/2/99 -0600, you wrote:
      >From: "DeseretMail" <landolf@...>
      >
      >I thought the term sounded familiar so I looked it up. According to
      my Polish-English dictionary a funt is a pound. That seems like an
      awful lot of 'shrooms though.
      >Pan Landolf

      "There are never too many mushrooms. There may be insufficient
      stomach, but there are NEVER too many mushrooms." -- some king of the
      east whose name I misrember right now, quite possibly because of the
      two tumblers of vino consumed at dinner.

      Alanna
      ***********
      Proverb of the day:
      The real act of discovery is not in finding new lands, but in seeing
      with new eyes. - Marcel Proust
    • Chris and Trish Makowski
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 2 8:54 PM
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 2 9:27 PM
          A half recipe over toast, with some roast beef made a very nice supper . . .JLT

          Chris and Trish Makowski wrote:

          > From: "Chris and Trish Makowski" <roecourt@...>

        • Jenn/Yana
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 3 7:17 AM
            >Welllll, for Americans it would be. For period Russians, not on your life.
            >If they could gather a pound of 'shrooms, they'd have them scarfed that
            >night.

            And for modern Russians too, it seems. At least according to all the
            anthropological works I've read. I'm slooowwwllyy training myself to like
            mushrooms, since it seems you can't have a Russian persoan without liking
            fungi (or fish, but I'm not worried about that food group). I'll eat most
            of the Asian ones and Portabellas are okay, but I don't think I'll ever
            like those slimy button mushrooms! <shudder>

            Hanging up a string or three of dried mushrooms would be a wonderful
            decoration for a Russian encampment or dacha.

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Yana (Ilyana Barsova) jdmiller2@...
            http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2
          • Katheryne of Krings Keep
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 3 3:47 PM

              > >Welllll, for Americans it would be. For period Russians, not on your
              >life.
              > >If they could gather a pound of 'shrooms, they'd have them scarfed that
              > >night.
              >
              >And for modern Russians too, it seems. At least according to all the
              >anthropological works I've read. I'm slooowwwllyy training myself to like
              >mushrooms, since it seems you can't have a Russian persoan without liking
              >fungi (or fish, but I'm not worried about that food group). I'll eat most
              >of the Asian ones and Portabellas are okay, but I don't think I'll ever
              >like those slimy button mushrooms! <shudder>
              >
              >Hanging up a string or three of dried mushrooms would be a wonderful
              >decoration for a Russian encampment or dacha.

              >Yana (Ilyana Barsova) jdmiller2@...
              > http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2

              You had better be careful with that string or three of mushrooms! One night
              a thief might come into your camp and replace them with strings of
              cranberries!!

              MMMMMMMM good 'shrooms!! <munch, munch, munch>

              Katradzyna