Re: horse archery

  • pan_landolf
    Message 1 of 38 , Mar 3, 2002
      Looks like the "Tilting at Rings" we do for SCA Equestrian
      activities, with some differences. I've used both western and
      English saddles in this event.
      I just purchased a McClellan cavalry style saddle to use in these
      games. I figured if the US cavalry used this saddle with lances and
      sabres that it would be well suited for the SCA games.
      Landolf

      --- In sig@y..., "Francesca" <ladybythesea@y...> wrote:
      > Greetings
      > I am new to the list. In reading your posts about archery on
      > horseback, in Maryland (USA) the state sport is Jousting. No not the
      > kind in full armor out to see who can topple who. The modern version
      > is taking a galloping horse down a straight path and with the tip
      of a
      > pointed lance take a small ring off a suspended pole. And they are
      > timed. I have only seen them do it in English saddles where they use
      > their knees to balance themselves off the saddle to stay steady to
      > spear the ring. Now I may have Epona as a patron, but I am only a
      > trail rider. So I don't know if this would help anyone or not. Just
      > thought it seemed along the same lines.
      > http://www.geocities.com/marylandjousting/
      > Wassail,
      > Francesca

    • Dmitriy V. Ryaboy
      Message 38 of 38 , Apr 10, 2002
        Someone scanned in a few pics from Medvedev -- I don't remember now what the
        original question was, but I am sure the images will be helpful :)

        http://www.missouri.edu/~winsloww/temp/Byzprojweapons/

        (they will be taken down shortly, so save them if you want them)

        -Dmitriy