Re: what is a 'funt'

  • Joseph L. Tolbert,Jr
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
      Thank you very much - I am going to try a batch now. . .

      JLT

      DeseretMail wrote:

      > From: "DeseretMail" <landolf@...>
      >
      > I thought the term sounded familiar so I looked it up. According to my Polish-English dictionary a funt is a pound. That seems like an awful lot of 'shrooms though.
      > Pan Landolf
    • Jenn/Yana
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
        My husband has just informed me that "funt" is Russian (and other Slavic
        languages, apparently) for pound. That's what I get for not using the
        dictionary. It sure _does_ sound like an awful lot of mushrooms. :)

        >> I thought the term sounded familiar so I looked it up. According to my
        >Polish-English dictionary a funt is a pound. That seems like an awful lot
        >of 'shrooms though.
        >> Pan Landolf

        --Yana
      • Robert J Welenc
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
          At 06:13 PM 10/2/99 -0600, you wrote:
          >From: "DeseretMail" <landolf@...>
          >
          >I thought the term sounded familiar so I looked it up. According to
          my Polish-English dictionary a funt is a pound. That seems like an
          awful lot of 'shrooms though.
          >Pan Landolf

          "There are never too many mushrooms. There may be insufficient
          stomach, but there are NEVER too many mushrooms." -- some king of the
          east whose name I misrember right now, quite possibly because of the
          two tumblers of vino consumed at dinner.

          Alanna
          ***********
          Proverb of the day:
          The real act of discovery is not in finding new lands, but in seeing
          with new eyes. - Marcel Proust
        • Chris and Trish Makowski
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
              A half recipe over toast, with some roast beef made a very nice supper . . .JLT

              Chris and Trish Makowski wrote:

              > From: "Chris and Trish Makowski" <roecourt@...>

            • Jenn/Yana
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 3, 1999
                >Welllll, for Americans it would be. For period Russians, not on your life.
                >If they could gather a pound of 'shrooms, they'd have them scarfed that
                >night.

                And for modern Russians too, it seems. At least according to all the
                anthropological works I've read. I'm slooowwwllyy training myself to like
                mushrooms, since it seems you can't have a Russian persoan without liking
                fungi (or fish, but I'm not worried about that food group). I'll eat most
                of the Asian ones and Portabellas are okay, but I don't think I'll ever
                like those slimy button mushrooms! <shudder>

                Hanging up a string or three of dried mushrooms would be a wonderful
                decoration for a Russian encampment or dacha.

                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Yana (Ilyana Barsova) jdmiller2@...
                http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2
              • Katheryne of Krings Keep
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 3, 1999

                  > >Welllll, for Americans it would be. For period Russians, not on your
                  >life.
                  > >If they could gather a pound of 'shrooms, they'd have them scarfed that
                  > >night.
                  >
                  >And for modern Russians too, it seems. At least according to all the
                  >anthropological works I've read. I'm slooowwwllyy training myself to like
                  >mushrooms, since it seems you can't have a Russian persoan without liking
                  >fungi (or fish, but I'm not worried about that food group). I'll eat most
                  >of the Asian ones and Portabellas are okay, but I don't think I'll ever
                  >like those slimy button mushrooms! <shudder>
                  >
                  >Hanging up a string or three of dried mushrooms would be a wonderful
                  >decoration for a Russian encampment or dacha.

                  >Yana (Ilyana Barsova) jdmiller2@...
                  > http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2

                  You had better be careful with that string or three of mushrooms! One night
                  a thief might come into your camp and replace them with strings of
                  cranberries!!

                  MMMMMMMM good 'shrooms!! <munch, munch, munch>

                  Katradzyna