Re[4]: [sig] Re: Russian archery equipment

  • Alexey Kiyaikin
    Message 1 of 38 , Mar 1, 2002
      Greetings!
      As a non-native speaker, I have to guess what "draw weight" is. If it
      is the force of the draw of the string, measured in kilograms (1
      newton = 0.1 kg) then the weight of Mongol bows could reach 60-70
      kilos (a pound is 0.4 kg), as the hardest draw ever documented (note
      this!)is with the
      Turkish bows of XVIII (about so) century, stated at about 72 kilos.
      But of course, draw weight influences on how far the arrow flies not
      directly. One of the guys I trained changed swordplay& martial arts to
      bowmanship. Being a Moscow Aviation Institute graduate he gave me a
      thorough survey of the relations between the distance of the flight,
      effort to pull the bowstring and the bow material properties. Being a
      philologist only :-) I got only that the correct method of checking
      the bow's real capacity lies in measuring the range (or the weight???
      can't remember...) of a half-drawn
      shot, and that the traditional method of attaching the dynamometer to
      the string measures nothing but the flexibility of the bow.

      Of course, if I understand the term right.

      Bye,
      Posadnik.
    • Dmitriy V. Ryaboy
      Message 38 of 38 , Apr 10, 2002
        Someone scanned in a few pics from Medvedev -- I don't remember now what the
        original question was, but I am sure the images will be helpful :)

        http://www.missouri.edu/~winsloww/temp/Byzprojweapons/

        (they will be taken down shortly, so save them if you want them)

        -Dmitriy