Re: what is a 'funt'

  • Joseph L. Tolbert,Jr
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
      My Lady:
      I found the recipe at
      http://www.shango.net/cyberbride/sh.htm
      from ' Medieval Russia -- Food and Drink' page on the SIG web site .

      Jenn/Yana wrote:

      > From: Jenn/Yana <jdmiller2@...>
      >
      > Where'd you get the recipe from? Maybe there s something in an index or
      > glossary about it?
      >
      > >From: "Joseph L. Tolbert,Jr" <jtolbert@...>
      > >
      > >In the following recipe, can anyone tell me in lb, oz, or kg how much
      > >is a 'funt' ?
      >
      > > Slavic Interest Group homepage:
      > http://www.uwplatt.edu/~goldschp/slavic.html
    • DeseretMail
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
        I thought the term sounded familiar so I looked it up. According to my Polish-English dictionary a funt is a pound. That seems like an awful lot of 'shrooms though.
        Pan Landolf

        From: "Joseph L. Tolbert,Jr" <jtolbert@...>
        Date: Sat, 02 Oct 1999 16:34:28 -0400

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
          Thank you very much - I am going to try a batch now. . .

          JLT

          DeseretMail wrote:

          > From: "DeseretMail" <landolf@...>
          >
          > I thought the term sounded familiar so I looked it up. According to my Polish-English dictionary a funt is a pound. That seems like an awful lot of 'shrooms though.
          > Pan Landolf
        • Jenn/Yana
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
            My husband has just informed me that "funt" is Russian (and other Slavic
            languages, apparently) for pound. That's what I get for not using the
            dictionary. It sure _does_ sound like an awful lot of mushrooms. :)

            >> I thought the term sounded familiar so I looked it up. According to my
            >Polish-English dictionary a funt is a pound. That seems like an awful lot
            >of 'shrooms though.
            >> Pan Landolf

            --Yana
          • Robert J Welenc
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
              At 06:13 PM 10/2/99 -0600, you wrote:
              >From: "DeseretMail" <landolf@...>
              >
              >I thought the term sounded familiar so I looked it up. According to
              my Polish-English dictionary a funt is a pound. That seems like an
              awful lot of 'shrooms though.
              >Pan Landolf

              "There are never too many mushrooms. There may be insufficient
              stomach, but there are NEVER too many mushrooms." -- some king of the
              east whose name I misrember right now, quite possibly because of the
              two tumblers of vino consumed at dinner.

              Alanna
              ***********
              Proverb of the day:
              The real act of discovery is not in finding new lands, but in seeing
              with new eyes. - Marcel Proust
            • Chris and Trish Makowski
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
                  A half recipe over toast, with some roast beef made a very nice supper . . .JLT

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 3, 1999
                    >Welllll, for Americans it would be. For period Russians, not on your life.
                    >If they could gather a pound of 'shrooms, they'd have them scarfed that
                    >night.

                    And for modern Russians too, it seems. At least according to all the
                    anthropological works I've read. I'm slooowwwllyy training myself to like
                    mushrooms, since it seems you can't have a Russian persoan without liking
                    fungi (or fish, but I'm not worried about that food group). I'll eat most
                    of the Asian ones and Portabellas are okay, but I don't think I'll ever
                    like those slimy button mushrooms! <shudder>

                    Hanging up a string or three of dried mushrooms would be a wonderful
                    decoration for a Russian encampment or dacha.

                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Yana (Ilyana Barsova) jdmiller2@...
                    http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2
                  • Katheryne of Krings Keep
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 3, 1999

                      > >Welllll, for Americans it would be. For period Russians, not on your
                      >life.
                      > >If they could gather a pound of 'shrooms, they'd have them scarfed that
                      > >night.
                      >
                      >And for modern Russians too, it seems. At least according to all the
                      >anthropological works I've read. I'm slooowwwllyy training myself to like
                      >mushrooms, since it seems you can't have a Russian persoan without liking
                      >fungi (or fish, but I'm not worried about that food group). I'll eat most
                      >of the Asian ones and Portabellas are okay, but I don't think I'll ever
                      >like those slimy button mushrooms! <shudder>
                      >
                      >Hanging up a string or three of dried mushrooms would be a wonderful
                      >decoration for a Russian encampment or dacha.

                      >Yana (Ilyana Barsova) jdmiller2@...
                      > http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2

                      You had better be careful with that string or three of mushrooms! One night
                      a thief might come into your camp and replace them with strings of
                      cranberries!!

                      MMMMMMMM good 'shrooms!! <munch, munch, munch>

                      Katradzyna