Re: Re[2]: [sig] Re: Russian archery equipment

  • Diane Sawyer
    Message 1 of 38 , Mar 1, 2002
      Yeliz wrote:
      > > I myself, being a Russian archer, have a Mongol
      > bow (though I shoot
      > > fingers as I haven't had enough practice with a
      > thumb ring).� I want
      > Important note: Russians NEVER used thumbrings. The
      > resemblance with
      > the Mongols didn't go that far. Nor did they use any
      > special leather
      > wrist protection, if we consider the items lists
      > from Oruzheinaya Palata &
      > the results of the excavations a source. Russian
      > bows seem to be less
      > powerful than Mongol (Chinese) ones.
      {snip}

      What the difference in draw weight? Have you any
      idea? For instance, my boyfriend's recurve is 25
      pounds, and my compound (purchased before I found the
      SCA) is 35.

      Tasha

      http://greetings.yahoo.com
    • Dmitriy V. Ryaboy
      Message 38 of 38 , Apr 10, 2002
        Someone scanned in a few pics from Medvedev -- I don't remember now what the
        original question was, but I am sure the images will be helpful :)

        http://www.missouri.edu/~winsloww/temp/Byzprojweapons/

        (they will be taken down shortly, so save them if you want them)

        -Dmitriy