Re: [sig] Bakherets Armor

  • Alexey Kiyaikin
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2002
      Greetings!

      > I saw the pictures at the yahoo site, and saw that Modrak did an
      > article on
      > it. What period is it from,
      XIV-XV century Central Asia (Tamerlan empire), then Russia. There's an
      Osprey book on Tamerlan. AFAIR I saw it there as well.
      > and where can I see the article?
      at www.Slavic.freeservers.com there is one , as far as I know, in the
      newsletters directory. But the name there is given incorrectly.
      In Russian it is Bakhterets, from the Persian Begter.

      Bye,
      Posadnik
    • MoxFool@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
        <<XIV-XV century Central Asia (Tamerlan empire), then Russia. There's an
        Osprey book on Tamerlan. AFAIR I saw it there as well.>>

        Rats! It looked neat too. But that's about 200 years to far forward for me to
        be period. Did it exist prior to then? And in only Russia? Or could/did it
        make its way to Poland?

        <<> and where can I see the article?
        at www.Slavic.freeservers.com there is one , as far as I know, in the
        newsletters directory. But the name there is given incorrectly.
        In Russian it is Bakhterets, from the Persian Begter.>>

        Thanks!

        If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why did He make animals out of meat?

        Tom Nadratowski <A HREF="http://www.footballguys.com">Footballguys.com</A>

      • pan_landolf
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
          --- In sig@y..., MoxFool@a... wrote:
          <snip>
          >Or could/did it
          > make its way to Poland?
          <snip>

          Several of the book I have on Hussars have pictures of this type of
          armor.
          I am of the opinion that karacena armor is the Polish version.

          http://www.jest.art.pl/eluzbro.html

          Landolf
        • pan_landolf
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
            Here's a direct link to pic of karacena armor.
            Landolf
          • MoxFool@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
              Landolf, thanks!
            • Alexey Kiyaikin
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
                Greetings!
                > Rats! It looked neat too. But that's about 200 years to far forward for me
                No trouble. "Then" means about a century, maybe, dozens of years.
                At least scholars date it as XVI century-adopted in Russia.
                > be period. Did it exist prior to then? And in only Russia? Or could/did it
                > make its way to Poland?
                Why not? Tamerlan was a naughty guy, and via the Turks that armor
                could get anywhere. Nevertheless, it is the very end of period.
                Bye,
                Posadnik.