Re: what is a 'funt'

  • Jenn/Yana
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
      Where'd you get the recipe from? Maybe there s something in an index or
      glossary about it?

      >From: "Joseph L. Tolbert,Jr" <jtolbert@...>
      >
      >In the following recipe, can anyone tell me in lb, oz, or kg how much
      >is a 'funt' ?
    • Joseph L. Tolbert,Jr
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
        My Lady:
        I found the recipe at
        http://www.shango.net/cyberbride/sh.htm
        from ' Medieval Russia -- Food and Drink' page on the SIG web site .

        Jenn/Yana wrote:

        > From: Jenn/Yana <jdmiller2@...>
        >
        > Where'd you get the recipe from? Maybe there s something in an index or
        > glossary about it?
        >
        > >From: "Joseph L. Tolbert,Jr" <jtolbert@...>
        > >
        > >In the following recipe, can anyone tell me in lb, oz, or kg how much
        > >is a 'funt' ?
        >
        > > Slavic Interest Group homepage:
        > http://www.uwplatt.edu/~goldschp/slavic.html
      • DeseretMail
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
          I thought the term sounded familiar so I looked it up. According to my Polish-English dictionary a funt is a pound. That seems like an awful lot of 'shrooms though.
          Pan Landolf

          From: "Joseph L. Tolbert,Jr" <jtolbert@...>
          Date: Sat, 02 Oct 1999 16:34:28 -0400

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
            Thank you very much - I am going to try a batch now. . .

            JLT

            DeseretMail wrote:

            > From: "DeseretMail" <landolf@...>
            >
            > I thought the term sounded familiar so I looked it up. According to my Polish-English dictionary a funt is a pound. That seems like an awful lot of 'shrooms though.
            > Pan Landolf
          • Jenn/Yana
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
              My husband has just informed me that "funt" is Russian (and other Slavic
              languages, apparently) for pound. That's what I get for not using the
              dictionary. It sure _does_ sound like an awful lot of mushrooms. :)

              >> I thought the term sounded familiar so I looked it up. According to my
              >Polish-English dictionary a funt is a pound. That seems like an awful lot
              >of 'shrooms though.
              >> Pan Landolf

              --Yana
            • Robert J Welenc
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
                At 06:13 PM 10/2/99 -0600, you wrote:
                >From: "DeseretMail" <landolf@...>
                >
                >I thought the term sounded familiar so I looked it up. According to
                my Polish-English dictionary a funt is a pound. That seems like an
                awful lot of 'shrooms though.
                >Pan Landolf

                "There are never too many mushrooms. There may be insufficient
                stomach, but there are NEVER too many mushrooms." -- some king of the
                east whose name I misrember right now, quite possibly because of the
                two tumblers of vino consumed at dinner.

                Alanna
                ***********
                Proverb of the day:
                The real act of discovery is not in finding new lands, but in seeing
                with new eyes. - Marcel Proust
              • Chris and Trish Makowski
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
                    A half recipe over toast, with some roast beef made a very nice supper . . .JLT

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 3, 1999
                      >Welllll, for Americans it would be. For period Russians, not on your life.
                      >If they could gather a pound of 'shrooms, they'd have them scarfed that
                      >night.

                      And for modern Russians too, it seems. At least according to all the
                      anthropological works I've read. I'm slooowwwllyy training myself to like
                      mushrooms, since it seems you can't have a Russian persoan without liking
                      fungi (or fish, but I'm not worried about that food group). I'll eat most
                      of the Asian ones and Portabellas are okay, but I don't think I'll ever
                      like those slimy button mushrooms! <shudder>

                      Hanging up a string or three of dried mushrooms would be a wonderful
                      decoration for a Russian encampment or dacha.

                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Yana (Ilyana Barsova) jdmiller2@...
                      http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2
                    • Katheryne of Krings Keep
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 3, 1999

                        > >Welllll, for Americans it would be. For period Russians, not on your
                        >life.
                        > >If they could gather a pound of 'shrooms, they'd have them scarfed that
                        > >night.
                        >
                        >And for modern Russians too, it seems. At least according to all the
                        >anthropological works I've read. I'm slooowwwllyy training myself to like
                        >mushrooms, since it seems you can't have a Russian persoan without liking
                        >fungi (or fish, but I'm not worried about that food group). I'll eat most
                        >of the Asian ones and Portabellas are okay, but I don't think I'll ever
                        >like those slimy button mushrooms! <shudder>
                        >
                        >Hanging up a string or three of dried mushrooms would be a wonderful
                        >decoration for a Russian encampment or dacha.

                        >Yana (Ilyana Barsova) jdmiller2@...
                        > http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2

                        You had better be careful with that string or three of mushrooms! One night
                        a thief might come into your camp and replace them with strings of
                        cranberries!!

                        MMMMMMMM good 'shrooms!! <munch, munch, munch>

                        Katradzyna